Celeron D 315 v. P4

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
My cousin has a Celeron D 315 and I was wondering if it's a better CPU then my P4 1.8GHz (Williamette). I was thinking his is better because it has a little more L1 cache, higher clock speed, SSE3 instruction, and faster FSB. Would it be better at gaming then my P4?

Celeron D 315 is about 2.4 Ghz.

So, the Pentium 4 may be really close to the performance to the Celeron for gaming.

But i remember seeing a video of a Celeron gaming, and it was quite funny. Got a few BSOD's and stuff. The P4 was fine.

So...the P4 would be better at gaming, because the Cache and FSB pay off.

How would it pay off when the P4's cache and FSB is less then the Celeron? The FSB on mine is 100, where as the Celeron is 533MHz.

yea, whatever that P4 is, it wont help. sounds like it also may be a older socket type, there probably not interchange able.... cause you cant use a 100fsb CPU with DDR ram(400/533/or 800 fsb).
------------------------------

dont know what his system is, or how cheap you guys are, but heres a few links:
keep in mind though none of these old cpu's are worth anything anymore, if you know how to and have money to put together a new budget system, a moder CPU will provide mush more bange for the buck...

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=3.0E-8001M
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-A4012
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=647

If the P4 could use ddr ram then it would be better.
My older brother has a 1.5ghz p4 northwood and it's about the same performance as my little brother's 3.26ghz Celeron D.

jorsoft03 said:
If the P4 could use ddr ram then it would be better.
My older brother has a 1.5ghz p4 northwood and it's about the same performance as my little brother's 3.26ghz Celeron D.

i dont know about that one... anything under 2Ghz is probably detramental to the performance of the Old Intel Pentium line.

...its also very likely your older brother knows more or keeps better care of his OS, so it operates much more efficently... were as your little bothers compuerts OS may be Crapped up with random aps installed, mismatched drivers or Virusus/spyware.

b1gapl said:
How would it pay off when the P4's cache and FSB is less then the Celeron? The FSB on mine is 100, where as the Celeron is 533MHz.

I always thought that. But my Celeron runs slower than a Pentium 3 1.4 Ghz.

I'm luckyy. My Celeron is essentially a Pentium M, however it has 1MB cache (Which is still huge IMO :p) instead of 2MB, and the power-saving feature is turned off. There are no other differences!

With Celeron's VS. Pentium 4's... There is no other difference other than the features that are disabled... The main differences being L2 and FSB.

As for this guy, I think the Celeron would actually do better.

jolancer said:
i dont know about that one... anything under 2Ghz is probably detramental to the performance of the Old Intel Pentium line.

...its also very likely your older brother knows more or keeps better care of his OS, so it operates much more efficently... were as your little bothers compuerts OS may be Crapped up with random aps installed, mismatched drivers or Virusus/spyware.
No, I built both computers myself and took benchmarks before installing anything but windows xp pro. Also neither are connected to the net, have av/antispyware or anything running in the background (no need).
I didn't use a cpu benchmark, though. Just 3dmark01se so that might have made a difference. The Celeron D was about 300 points or so faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom