AMD Unveils Barcelona Quad-Core Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meithan

Daemon Poster
Slashdot reported the following news this morning:

"At today's Microprocessor Forum, Intel's Ben Sander laid out architecture details of the number-two CPU maker's upcoming quad-core Opterons . The processors will feature sped-up floating-point operations, improvements to IPC, more memory bandwidth, and improved power management. In his analysis on ExtremeTech, Loyd Case considers that the shift isn't as major as Intel's move from NetBurst to Core 2, but AMD claims that its quad core is true quad core, while Intel's is two dual-cores grafted together."

They're supposed to be put on the market for the first half of 2007.

It means the Intel quad-cores are two dual-core processors put in the same die, with a bus communicating them. AMD's quad cores have the four cores working a single unit.

Meithan said:
It means the Intel quad-cores are two dual-core processors put in the same die, with a bus communicating them. AMD's quad cores have the four cores working a single unit.
Ah, I see. I can't wait to see how these new AMDs are going to perform. They have some serious competition to go up against though.

what socket are they speculating these to accompany. IS it going to be some of the current sockets or will it be a new socket all together?

luke87 said:
what socket are they speculating these to accompany. IS it going to be some of the current sockets or will it be a new socket all together?
Pretty sure it's going to be using a brand new socket layout. I heard talk about 1200 pins or something. I read recently that they will be using the same design the as Intel's LGA775, where there are no pins.

no its AM2 that was the whole purpose they developed it. they made AM2 for the new processors and released AM2 mobos ahead of time so that the socket would widely distributed in anticipation for the new processors.

zmatt said:
no its AM2 that was the whole purpose they developed it. they made AM2 for the new processors and released AM2 mobos ahead of time so that the socket would widely distributed in anticipation for the new processors.
AM2 is still 939 socket. What you just said makes no sense.

OpticalIllusion said:
AM2 is still 939 socket. What you just said makes no sense.

I've heard otherwise. AM2 may have 940 pins, but if you drop a socket 940 in an AM2 socket, it won't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom