Could use a hand on my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapple

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, let me get right into it.
I'm going to try my first attempt at putting together a computer from scratch, bit by bit, with pieces from newegg.

I've read all the user reviews on newegg, and probably most of the tutorials, tips, and other user's posts on this site. I've spent hours researching mostly every part I'm looking to buy.
So far, I have come up with what I think is a fully compatible system, and could use a hand with suggestions or tips.
Thanks in Advance!
--------------------------
-- DFI INFINITY 975X Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X [175.00] (Looked good for stability, and out of the box workability, and oc-potential)

-- OCZ GameXStream ATX12V 600W[130.00](Read OCZ was a good brand, picked a strong one, seems reliable )

--Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe LGA 775 [500.00] (Just wanted a beast of a processor. Right now I have a Pentium 4 2.66 at 768 ram)

--eVGA Geforce 7600GS 512MB PCI E - [145.00] ( Decent card, and considering the games I play are do-able on a low, low end ATI, any improvement over what I have is great.)

--OCZ Value Series 2x1G Ram, PC5400 (Ram and Mobo voltages are compatible, i read that some mobos wont detect the ram if they aren't, not sure if this is the case in the DFI, if it's not, I'm going with a better pair for $280) [240.00]

--Okay Hard Drive... Have a Seagate Barracuda 400GB SATA that I'm looking at. As of right now, 400GB seems expensive at $170. Saw a WesternDigital 400GB Hard Drive for $140. Difference between the two?

--Zalman cnps9500 heatsink (Heard they are quiet and cool well, and since the stock on the DFI was deemed trash, I figured why not.) [64.00]

--Titan HDD cooler for $7. ---(Or should I spend an extra $20-40 for something more reliable, if so, please suggest something)

Again, Thank you for any suggestions, please feel free to rip this apart, I'm very flexible (Within $100 on any major parts listed.)
Also, I heard some cases fry your USB ports, causing some users to need a new mobo... So any suggestions on a decent case with front intake, and clear side panel would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, and sorry if this is a huge post, but I need all the help I can get.

-Snapple, (or call me Slawek.)

Get this graphics card instead, it's lower in price, and performs better.

And make sure you get an SATA II/3.0GB/s hard drive with a high cache. In my experience, Seagate has always been a winner with me, but experiences vary.

I'd recommend the NZXT Apollo case, it's very sleek and cool, intakes from the front, but it doesn't have a front fan, however, you can mount a 120mm fan after you buy it.

I'll go with the card you suggested. If anyone can give a second opinion on the card, that'd be better.

The seagate is 3.0g/s sata II, so I'll probably stick with it, and the case is a bit different, but I have seen it before.

I was looking at an Apexia with the Volume gage, front fan speed, and front temperature gages on the front panel. Just thought it looked clean, not too flashy (and I dont mean lights).

Good choice, that case looks great for the money.

Also, the heatsink/fan comes with the (retail, not OEM) processor, not the motherboard, and since I don't think you'll be overclocking with such a high grade CPU, you won't need it; the heatsink/fan that Intel provides is sufficient enough, even with minor overclocking.

You might want to consider an E6600 Conroe, instead. Better bang for the buck, considering it can be OC'd to E6700 speeds and beyond. But then again an E6700 can be OC'd very nicely as well, it just depends on your budget. And I don't really think you'd need a HDD cooler, unless you have very poor airflow. Just mount the HDD near an intake and it should be fine. Oh and the Zalman 9500 is great, I love it, but there are better Heatsinks/fans out there, if you're lucky enough to find some in stock.

Thanks guys.

I still have some time before I even get the cash in my hands, but I'll look around some more.

For the most part, I like my setup, and I'll look at that vid card. I'll make sure the case has good intake up front and mount the HDD as best I can to use that. I'll probably stick with the same processor, just want some brute power :) without having to overclock. Stability over $$$ any day heh, at least I like to think so. I may overclock a tiny bit just to see what I can do.

And I may get the Zalman as a just in case type of thing, my desk has a little case compartment with severely limited airflow capabillities, so the more cooling the better.

Thanks again.

So would it be worth going for a ddr2 800 pair of 2giggerbiters then?

And you guys want to suggest a better card then, I know some cards perform better than others regardless of their #### and suffix.

I would upgrade to ddr2800 and get a evga 7900gto and when the new dx10 cards come out you can use your step up program that eVga has to get a new card.

I got a pretty new rig im selling in my sig if you want to check it out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom