overclocking newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I just got my eVGA 7600gt and want to overclock it.
I need to know what fan or cooler i need to get to be able to overclcok it safely, im a noob so i do not know anything, and i was wondering if the nvTune program would help overclock it withough buying additional fans???.

You don't HAVE to buy aftermarket anything when you OC. It's more highly recommended with CPU's then GPU's. GPU's can handle more heat.

And theirs no other way to OC a video card that isn't software based as far as I've heard of.

You don't need better cooling for a small overclock. You can use RivaTuner to overclock or use X-Setup to unlock the overclocking tab in the Nvidia display settings, or Google for the neccesary registry changes to unlock the Nvidia overclocking tab manually.

Always overclock in small increments, then test the config (play a game, or run 3DMark for some time and see if you notice anything the shouldn't be there). Also monitor your graphics card temps and post them here.

what software monitors graphic card temps, and whats 3d Mark?
Sorry im new and do not know anythin, this is my first time i'm putting an interest and trying to upgrade slowly. Really apprecaiting this help

krazyq said:
what software monitors graphic card temps, and whats 3d Mark?
Sorry im new and do not know anythin, this is my first time i'm putting an interest and trying to upgrade slowly. Really apprecaiting this help

I don't know about the temps. Don't have experience with modern graphics cards. Someone else will answer.

3DMark is a graphics benchmarking program. Google "download 3DMark".

alright I will do that once i get home. So youre saying to overclock the graphic card I do not need addional parts. For my next post what exactly should I be posting from the 3Dmarks?.

krazyq said:
alright I will do that once i get home. So youre saying to overclock the graphic card I do not need addional parts. For my next post what exactly should I be posting from the 3Dmarks?.

Nothing, well, you can post your score so our members can see if your system is fast. The main thing you have to do is keep watching while 3DMark is running. If you see anything unusual like weird colors, spots, dots, missing parts or flickering (artifacts) you know you overclocked too far.
Keep in mind that artifact may take a while before they show up (as your card gets more stressed over time). You can take screenshots of the artifacts if you want.

If you spot artifacts, lower the clock speeds a bit. Always use small increments while overclocking, then test for some time, longer is safer, and increase again. Never increase by huge amounts, it could fry your card.

Overclocking will void warranty.

how much amount would you specify? lik what range and the main question i have, is it really worth to O.C the card. Would i actually notice performance difference?. And during the test how to take image shots?

krazyq said:
how much amount would you specify? lik what range and the main question i have, is it really worth to O.C the card. Would i actually notice performance difference?. And during the test how to take image shots?

You can take screenshots by pressing the Print Screen button on your keyboard. Then open Paint and press CTRl+V.

I can't tell you an amount. You can either keep increasing until you hit the limit (by that I mean, increase small amount, test, increase, test).

Or you can ask other owners of the same card with stock cooling how far they got it, but don't put it on that value instantly, start lower!

If overclocking is worth it depends. If all you games run smoothly on the settings you want the games to run, then no, it is not worth it.
If you have a slow system and the performance of you games is not completely satisfying without an overclock, then yes, it may be worth it, but only if it is on the edge.

A game that is terribly slow on default settings will never be smooth on overclocked settings, just a bit smoother. The amount of difference you will notice will differ; it depends on the card, and the game.

Ok. thanx. Becase some of the games lag on really high settings, not crazy lag, but a slight lag once in a while. And for some reason on my display driver settings it says its a 7600gt integrated RAMDAC...shouldnt it say dedicated, and i never disabled my integrated card, do i have to do that or does it happen automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom