little help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

n30phYte

In Runtime
does anyone know of a socket 478 motherboard for a Pentium 4 2.2ghz processor that has a pci-e x16 slot?

any help here would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

:confused:

theres no point in having a PCI-E slot with such a old CPU.

you already have a 7600GS?

your CPU is already bottlenecking your 7600GS... using a even faster GPU with such a slow CPU wont change much.
---------------------------------------

besides replacing your entire system... id say your only other option is upgrading the CPU instead.

though, since your using a 2.2ghz(witch probably realy old) chances are im guessing your uisng a APG 4x motherboard, witch may or maynot have Pentium4 "Prescott" support. ->go to your mothebroard manufactuers website and check there CPU support list.

here is a 2.8 Northwood P4 though, witch may be compatable for example:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=P2.8-533
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-A4012
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=647

theres also a 3.0P4 presscott there for similar price, but like i said it may not be compatable with your board....

...if your board is only AGP 4x with 533 Max FSB support... you may wont to just make due with what you got now, untill you can upgrade your entire system... beacuse if thats the case... your motherboad will still hold you back even if you upgrade your CPU or even GFX Card.

Upgrade to a new socket. Recently I purchased an Intel 2.66 Dual Core Processor for about $90. Its a good price. I also purchased a Asrock 775DUALVSTA Motherboard. It doesnt support pci express x16 but many LGA 775 Socket motherboards support PCI Express x16. If you have the money, I recommend you to upgrade Mobo + Processor. Just my 2 cents.

freedonutss said:
Upgrade to a new socket. Recently I purchased an Intel 2.66 Dual Core Processor for about $90. Its a good price. I also purchased a Asrock 775DUALVSTA Motherboard. It doesnt support pci express x16 but many LGA 775 Socket motherboards support PCI Express x16. If you have the money, I recommend you to upgrade Mobo + Processor. Just my 2 cents.

IF he changes his motherboard he will need to Upgrade everything except his HDD. (and possibly his Ram).

cause a new board would reqire: new CPU | GFX Card | 24pin PSU | and DDR2 ram if its skt775)

jolancer said:
IF he changes his motherboard he will need to Upgrade everything except his HDD. (and possibly his Ram).

cause a new board would reqire: new CPU | GFX Card | 24pin PSU | and DDR2 ram if its skt775)

Not true. Yes, He would need a new cpu as I stated above. Hes looking for a motherboard WITH a pci x16 slot. So why would he have to upgrade the video card? No, Not all motherboards take 24 pin. Alot of motherboards support dual channel memory so you can use both DDR2 and DDR. Reason why I say this is because I used to have a motherboard that was socket LGA775 and used 20 pins, also the DDR standard was pc3200 but I was still able to use pc2700 for memory.

thanks guys for the speedy replies. sorry i was a litle shady on my current specs.

the things i have listed in my sig aren't put together yet. i'm building a system from some parts i already have. my mobo is teh suck and i'm looking to get another one that supports my P4 2.2 and my vid card.

the thing is i'm not looking to play any hadcore graphically intense games. i got an awesome deal on that 7600 at newegg a while back and couldn't pass it up. i know it's more than my cpu really wants but with the stuff i play, it's more than adequate.

i'm at work right now so it's hard for me to check this alot but i'll look at your suggestions and reply in a bit.

i have decided to just go for an AGP card and mobo for the time being. will someone tell me if this setup will work in a dell 2400 case (teh suck, i know but..)

i know the mobo is cheap but i just ned a quick fix to hold me over until dx10, vista and all that jazz.

motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813185078

video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150190

if not could someone help me a find a better motherboard? the GPU will be sufficient for what i am doing.

thanks for the help.

n30phYte - if your going to use a AGP card, why are you looking for a different motherboard? does your current board not have a AGP slot?

for your info though... that board you linked to says in the name "microATX" and you can see from the picture, it only has ~3 expantion slots... so it will fit into any sized Case (microATX motherboard are the smallest boards).

----------------------------------------------
freedonutss - i know you mean well... but your informations is wrong. sorry.

if hes currently using AGP and he wonted a PCIE board, he would need a PCIE card.

you can run a old 20pin PSU with any 24pin ATX motherboard... however, if the graphics card doesnt use an Auxilary power cable stratit from the PSU, the board would be Underpowered and problems woudl arrise (other power probs could arrise even without a a high powered GFX Card).

the ram types are Physically different and cannot be mixed.
DDR1 = pc3200 (DDR400) and Bellow
DDR2 = pc4200 (DDR533) and Above
------------------------------------------------------

iv also seen the typs of motherboards 'baronvongogo' mentioned.... and you do not wont one of those... squeezing excess features such as those onto one motherboard, will resault in a loss of compatability or speed or stability. (its a trade off, just like anything else)... the best option is for you to buy a motherboard from a single generation for best performance/compatbility (not a frankenstien mix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom