Building a new comp first time need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bige14

Solid State Member
Hi, this is the first time i'm building a comp. I have been doin some research and would like to get the amd 64 bit processor what are some good mobo's that would be nice with the chip. Also which one should i get i play a lot of games and run many apps on it. Also how do would i overclock the chip. and how much is recommended soo chip doesnt damage.
I have bought some stuff already. Thanks the help will be greatly appreciated

- 120gb hd 8mb buffer @7200rpm
-Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum Sound Card
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB
-Sony 8x dvd rw
-Sony 16x dvd drive
-1,024 MB of DDRAM Kingston PC3200 400MHz (2 X 512)
-Thermaltake Xaser V Damier w/ 420W PS
-Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU cooler for athlon 64 chip (which i havent bought yet)
-All of this for under $700 on ebay

Pleasee i really need help about finding a good mobo for the athlon 64 chip. And also help about good range for overclocking the chip so it wont damage

i use amd and i use a ASUS mother board...i use the a7n-8x but if you wanna pay about $20 more you can get the a7n-8x delux
which has 2 onboard network 4 USB i think....onboard sound and everything...it runs about $130 but if you want to get the non delux it runs about $110 but has only 1 network...either one works good.

For overclockin www.frozencpu.com and they have some unlocking strips and they cost about $10 i think...but i would go to amd to see the overclockin specs for the one you have

Get the asus, it has 4 SATA channels as opposed to the gigabyte which has 2. They both support RAID. Unless you have lots of IDE devices, the gigabyte mobo offers 4 IDE channels (IMO that's a waste if you are building a new system might as well pay a little extra and go for SATA hard drives) I also like the Asus because it offers two different RAID controllers, and I'm a promise fanboy :p

I'm not sure what a DPS port is, however I think that's the name for the 4 pin (2x2) power connector. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me (and I apologize for being incorrect). However, If I am right however, both have it, but the position for the Asus one is much better as it is near the edge of the board rather than right near the processor.

OK thank you soo much for the replies now i actually think i have some understanding into how to make this computer Rock...can you give me any good cheap sites that i can buy the mobo n the athlon 64 processor reallyyyy cheap...i'm low on the cash or should i wait about a month or two for the prices to go down..oo yeaa and another question does the regular version of windows xp work for this processor?? THanks a lot

The 64-bit processor is completely compatible with all 32-bit software.

Just as PCI 2.0 cards will still work with PCI Express.

Finding cheap sites is easy, its reliable sites/support that you don't want to skimp on. I am from the UK and even I have heard how good newegg.com is - if I were to move to the USA it is the only site I would buy from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom