build issues--won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerxes501

Beta member
I recently decided to build a PC. Though I'm not terribly knowledgable, I've had some experience (after living with computer techies) and thought I should be fine. But I've been stuck for two weeks, and haven't found the answers posted elsewhere, so here goes:

Basically, I can't get the computer to start up to BIOS. Or do anything, really, other than spin the fans (case fans, cpu, psu, and vga fans all working fine). It sounds like the HD is also spinning up, but I don't get anything on my monitor and no beeps.

I've got an NForce4MA motherboard with an AMD AM2 3800+ CPU. The motherboard has four DIMM2 slots in which I've tried two different Patriot 1gb (together and then singly) memory units in different slots. (Instructions say it shouldn't matter which one I use, but I've been trying anyway...) I have a Western Digital 250 gig SATA HDD attached to the motherboard using the SATA cable, and an nVidia GeForce 7300GT VGA.

The owner's manual for the motherboard says IDE1 must be connected to an HDD....but my HDD doesn't have an IDE connection, so I had IDE1 hooked up to an optical drive, and then to nothing. Could this be my problem? Or might it be that my monitor is not getting signal through the graphics card? I've checked all my connections many times, and I'm stuck. Help would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance

1)what does your monitor do when you power on ?

2)if the video is not the problem, unplug everything(HDD,CDD,Take out all memory, take out vid car and use intergrated if you can,etc. till everything is unpluged but the cpu and fans, even unplug mouse and keyboard) sif if you can POST(power on self test) if you can and the computer goes to boot then plug in 1 item at a time till your error occurs. example if it boots with nothing put the cpu then put the keyboard in and try to post then the mouse, then the hard drive.

of course you will get errors related to each one thats not in but you will be able to see which device is causing the problem once pluged in.

1 word. Processor. Youve installed it incorrectly or its dead. The hard drive, optical drive wouldnt cause the computer to not POST up. Can you post what processor and socket you have please?

Also, If the hard drive isnt connected it should still post up. Itll go through BIOS then it will say Select proper boot media device blah blah. So its most likely your processor.

If you're not getting any beep codes, first make sure that you have the motherboard sound plugged in correctly, check the manual if you're not sure. Once you're sure you have that plugged in correctly, take out all of your RAM. If you dont get a beep code from that, then I would suggest it's your motherboard. Either it was sent DOA or you accidentally fried it, either way RMA it.

I don't have a VGA out on my motherboard, so I had to leave my video card in, but I tried unplugging everything else (RAM, HDD, optical, keyboard and mouse) and it still wouldn't POST.

In answer to freedonutss, it's an AM2 socket with an AMD 64 X2 3800+, AM2 socket.

I double checked my sound connections to the motherboard, and still don't get any beeps, either.

It certainly looks like either the mother board or processor is shot...is there a way to tell which?

People are forgetting the possibility of the Motherboard Grounding out.
Are you sure you used standoffs?

For this to be tested you need to take the Motherboard out of the case, place it on a non conductive surface, you then need to Unattach everything but CPU, one stick of RAM and video card. I would also clear the CMOS.

If it still happens then either the motherboard or proc is dead. And the only way to tell which is switch with Known good Units.
The easier way is to just RMA both.

Please Report Back with Results.

freedonutss said:
1 word. Processor. Youve installed it incorrectly or its dead. The hard drive, optical drive wouldnt cause the computer to not POST up. Can you post what processor and socket you have please?

actually those devices can cause you not to post, and pretty much everything can cause your computer not to post under certian conditions, so thats why you try everything so you dont miss something easy like buying a new 200 dollar cpu and turns out some odd error with your keyboard.

King X13 said:
actually those devices can cause you not to post, and pretty much everything can cause your computer not to post under certian conditions, so thats why you try everything so you dont miss something easy like buying a new 200 dollar cpu and turns out some odd error with your keyboard.
While it is true, they shouldn't create a no signal error.
If such devices Create POST errors they usually still allow the POST screen to come up.

For example, if the keyboard does not work, most POST screens will show the numeric code for the keyboard. If the POST screen does not come up then the BIOS should still Beep the Code out.
Neither of these are happening. According to him, everything turns on, but No Beeps and a no signal on the Screen appears.

But yes its still possible but unlikely at this point. Especially since we told him to try it with only barebones attached.

All you need for it to post is VGA, RAM and CPU. Leave everything else out. Also reset the BIOS (look for a jumper that says something like "CMOS", or check the manual).

Try taking the motherboard out of the case and see if it posts then.

If you have 2 sticks of RAM, try just one of them, or try some different RAM. Also try different slots. Try a different video card. And if you have a second CPU that fits the motherboard, try it, but most people don't have a spare CPU.

Take everything out (VGA, RAM, CPU) and put it back in. Then try again.
Some motherboards come with a small beeper that you have to connect to the motherboard yourself. See if yours came with one and check the manual.

Try a different monitor.
Check monitor cables.

And last but not least, check if all the neccesary power connections from the PSU to the motherboard are properly connected (check manual if you are unsure). Some motherboards have seperate 4 pin connectors that either connect to a 4 pin connector on the motherboard, or get attached to the main 20 pin connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom