HELP HDD Problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsand

Solid State Member
when i turn on my computer it asks me if i want to start windows normally, start in safe mode, start in safe mode w/ networking etc.. and when i put normally the screen just goes blank, when i put in safe mode it locks up.. does this mean my HDD is messed up..? or is it something else.. and im running XP..

Redsand said:
when i turn on my computer it asks me if i want to start windows normally, start in safe mode, start in safe mode w/ networking etc.. and when i put normally the screen just goes blank, when i put in safe mode it locks up.. does this mean my HDD is messed up..? or is it something else.. and im running XP..

This could be a few things.

It could be a corrupt video driver

It could be a recently installed program has corrupted your OS.

or a critical device driver, the problem is almost definitely software related.

Did you make any recent changes to your system?

What I would try to do is a repair off of the xp cdrom. just boot off of it and it will march you though the windows setup. when It asks to set up windows hit r for for the repair function. if you hit enter you will reinstall windows. if you don't want to lose data don't do reintall, of course.

hope this helps.

BTW most hdd problems that are hardware will happen with a loud sound or dip in performance, or will not even detect in the bios. most likely corrupt files.

make sure boot sector virus detection in bios is disabled. I've heard XP and that feature have problems... usually only during installation, but on occasion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom