Annoying noise produced by Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitaikoretz

Beta member
I just got a new PC.
(P4-3GHz, 1GB RAM, Abit ICG-7, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB)

It's great. :D

However, it's a noisy computer. The case is equipped with a few fans that generate more decibels than what I would like.

The most annoying thing the by far is a faint high-pitched whine emitted by the rear fan. It can get on your nerves if you notice it.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this and get rid of that whine??

What kind of case do you have?
Are these fans the ones that came with your case, or did you buy them?
Describe the fan sound for me.

Ex:
I have 5 fans + the ones in my PSU.
The one that sits on my proc produces a midrange frequency and depending on what I increase the voltage to it gets louder on that same frequency.
Then the PSU fans for me produce a deeper hum but it is the loudest in my case.
Finally my other case fans produce in between high pitch to medium (due to the vibration).

One thing some people suggest is to use dynomat (or some other sound dampener), however, I feel it makes your case very hot and unless you aren't doing much overclocking or don't really bother with system temperature (as long as the computer is stable) then I suggest that. Otherwise, I suggest you power up w/ different fans and figure out which one creates the noise, then eliminate it. For me it's the PSU so in the future I plan on buying this ...
http://www.svc.com/coolmax480.html
Once I see some reviews for it of course :)

I don't know what kind of case it is....
just an ordinary mid-tower

description of the offending noise- similar to the high frequencies generated by TVs and some other applicances
it's not noticable until it gets on your nerves...

I suspect it's the PSU fan. That Coolmax gear seems like an expensive way to resolve the issue.
I don't know of it's a good idea to 'eliminate' the PSU fan...

the fanless psu was my person choice for when I save up enough money :p. However, I have heard very good things about the noisetaker series from ernemax and antec's true power series (theres a neat true blue with blue leds in this series as well) I think just about anything with a manual fan adjustment knob will be suitable for you. Just be sure to monitor voltage levels for a while when you get it to the noise level you want (b/c the PSU output wattage decreases with the increase in temperature)

you can get a fan speed adjuster that will allow you to turn down the fan speed .Easy to install works great .

if the fan came with the case, get rid of it, i brought coolermaster 25db to replace my old fans they are cheap and silent

becroydon said:
if the fan came with the case, get rid of it, i brought coolermaster 25db to replace my old fans they are cheap and silent

In addition they have a light up version of that same fan. That's what I use in the back up my case :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom