Need advice for my first gaming pc in 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxis

Solid State Member
I just recently decided to upgrade to a new gaming pc for the first time in 5 years. I'll list what ive ordered and am asking for advice or comments on this setup. Also Ill be wanting to overclock my cpu since i read that the new core 2 are fairly easy. Is that true even for someone whos never done it? Ok..heres my specs:

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13
160GB SATA-II 3GB/S 8MB 7200RPM HD
2X512MB CORSAIR DDR2 6400 XM2 EXTREME
3X CASE FANS
COOLERMASTER LGA 775+ 3.6GHZ FAN
ASUS P5N32SLI-SE-DELUXE
EVGA NVIDIA 7950 GT 512 MB PCI-E X2
BLUE ASPIRE 600W DARK SIDE POWER

Ok that about somes up all the main components i think. If a few people would please take 5 minutes to give me some feedback, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

For less money, you can go for the 7900GTO which outperforms the 7950GT. And I don't think Aspire is known well for PSUs, I suggest you look into Antec, Fortron, OCZ brands.

Go with a single 7900 GTO and use the money for 2 GB of ram.
Also your power supply isn't a quality one. Go with something like the HIPER HPU-4B580-MS ATX12V 580W Power Supply, which goes for $100 at Newegg.

the hiper is a very nice psu and its a moduler so its not *** messy and if you dont want to spend that much go with an antec truepower 550watt you can find it for around 80 bucks

I guess the psu is a apevia. Hrm. Do you really think that it would make that big of a difference? Also, lets just say that i went with the specs i listed above. If so, would this be a pretty good rig? Can i get a rating please 1-10, 10 high. Please be honest and not sarcastic. Thanks everyone whos taking time to help out a fellow gamer.

Apevia PSUs are not reliable with my past experiences. Alot of the PSUs they supply die withint 6-10 months of use. Ive experienced it with a few servers ive owned in my past. Rosewill, antec, hiper are my recommondations. From your setup above, I give it about a 7. Now days if your a gamer, Usually youll have a game, a browser, maybe music or some kind of programs. Usually if I run World of warcraft, Ventrilo and Mozilla Firefox it uses about 50% of my system memory. I have 2 Gigs of ram in my rig so if you have 1 gig itll just about use all of your system memory. Just depends on what you have open and such. As for the video card the 7900GTO Outperforms the 7950. But yeah, Trash the apevia PSU. Get a Rosewill, Antec, or a Hiper. There all good.

I guess the psu is a apevia. Hrm. Do you really think that it would make that big of a difference? Also, lets just say that i went with the specs i listed above. If so, would this be a pretty good rig? Can i get a rating please 1-10, 10 high. Please be honest and not sarcastic. Thanks everyone whos taking time to help out a fellow gamer.

fade2black2004 said:
^what he said and also i would go with just a one gig stick rather than 2X512

that prevents him from being able to use dual channel. I'd go with 2, regardless of what amount you get.

Id say thats about a 7. Good build, nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom