Laptop: AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdocx25

Beta member
AMD v.s. Intel

Hey I'm a newcomer to this forum. I'm deciding to buy a new laptop soon but I really don't know which processor to choose. I have read that AMD processors are much faster and have better performance than the Intel ones but the AMD ones don't last very long and tend to break down right. But I am not sure. I heard that Intel processors are quite good and last much longer than the AMDs. What i really want to know is which one is better for integrity and power at the same time. So does AMD last long and perform well or does it just perform well in the short term. Same question with the intel processors. Is it good at processing and lasts long?...

Please reply... thanks...

AMD and Intel processors, if treated right, will last 15 years. Right now Intels are faster that AMDs. And I don't mean "Centrino Mobile Technology" I mean Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.

More information here:
http://www.google.com

I'm an AMD fan so I tend to recommend them over Intel. With the exception of the expensive Core 2 Duo there aren't any huge performnace gaps between intel procs and their amd counterparts (intel's faster for some stuff, amd for others). One major difference is that Turions and Turion X2's can use 64-bit processes that will be very common in about 2 years whereas Centrino/Solo/Duo are 32-bit only. Turion's might have some more longevity than the Centrinos.
What are your needs and approximate price range?

o rly? Is that why my 2.16Ghz Core Duo gets a 28 second SuperPI 1M, and my X2 3800+ running at 2.6Ghz gets like 36 seconds on a good day?

HUGE improvement. Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are both way faster.

Alright thanks for the replies... but I need to know which of the processors is more stable and longer lasting... especially when it has to last a couple years for college and also handle loads of media and work... so you know why I need performance and reliability...

you want a laptop with a :

Intel Core 2 duo T5200,T5500,T5600,T7200,T7400,7600

or

Intel core duo T2300,T2400,T2500,T2600,T2700

the top one is the latest and if you can find a laptop with Intel core 2 duo range then that's what I recommend. Intel is the leader at the moment but no doubt AMD will catch up best to go with whats good for now which is Intel.

The General said:
o rly? Is that why my 2.16Ghz Core Duo gets a 28 second SuperPI 1M, and my X2 3800+ running at 2.6Ghz gets like 36 seconds on a good day?
that's one program (math) which is what Intel is good at.
3dmark and games show a different story.

but of course the Core 2 Duo is faster now. K8L is looking promising - but I don't think it'll be available for Laptops soon

apokalipse said:
that's one program (math) which is what Intel is good at.
3dmark and games show a different story.
Exactly.
That's why Intels are generally faster at encoding, compressing zip files, and office programs whereas AMDs are typically get better gaming benchmarks.
And CPUs last for a long time that's not really an issue. It's just what gives you the most bang for the buck. Much of the time AMD-based laptops are less expensive which is why they're rising in popularity. Check out sites like HP, ABS, and Newegg and see the specs for stuff in your price range.

TheMajor said:
CPU's will generally last much longer than 15 years, if you don't overclock them.

Mines probably going to be dead in about a few months. And it's never been overclocked, and i dust the entire computer about once a month.

I guess Celeron's are excluded, because they overheat too darned fast??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom