Which is the better CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared17

In Runtime
Hey guys/gals, I'm soon going to be ordering a cpu for my new computer that I'm building, and I can't decide between a few. TigerDirect.ca has changed things around since I last looked and well now the processor I did want, they no longer have, which upsets me. Currently all the Athlon 64 X2 models they have are out of my price range, the only one even close is the 4200+, which is a socket 939, and I wanted to go with the AM2, if I went the AMD route. So now I am considering going with Intel. The 2 CPU's that I'm looking at from both companies are:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207200

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1428382

I was just hoping you all might be able to tell me which is the better of the 2, I realize that the AMD is not a dual core, and the Intel is, and I have a feeling the Intel is the better CPU, I just wanted to get other opinions before I went and spent my money on a motherboard and cpu, only to find out I could have done better with the money I have available.

Thanks in advance.

Jared

That is way out of budget, in canadian prices it is 250. I actually had considered that one, until I checked the prices on it and ruled it out.

I was hoping if I did get the Intel, that I could overclock it a little bit, to get a little extra oomph out of it.

I'd like to say the AMD would be better for gaming. But, I don't think I've ever seen a single core 3800+ compared with a dual core Pentium D. But I can tell you that if that Pentium D performs anything like my 2.8Ghz P4 Hyperthread, you don't want it ;)

The 3800+ would be better for gaming, and the Pentium D would be better for multitasking.

I'd have to say for super low end computers (such as the one you are planning), buying a pre-built is probably a better bet, as much as I hate saying that.

If you want to go AMD, go with the 3700+, it's CPU speed is 200MHz less, but the cache is 1MB, compared to the 3800+ that is only 512KB.

Jumping_Bean514 said:
I'd have to say for super low end computers (such as the one you are planning), buying a pre-built is probably a better bet, as much as I hate saying that.

I'm not trying to build a super low end computer, its just I can't afford anything over 200 bucks for a processor at the moment, unfortunatly, because it kind of limits me to what I can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom