HD and optical not detected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I put a spare 30gb HD in my computer, and when I turned it on....it is not detected. Also the optical is not detected. Before this I had another HD connected and it did show up along with the optical. Ever since I put this spare in, both the spare and optical don't show up. They are on the same IDE cable by the way on the secondary IDE slot. How do I get them to show?

check the jumpers on the drives. cable select should work for both but you may need to play with master and slave settings a bit. whichever drive is on the last plug is master the other is slave.

Thanks for responding....ok what I did was put the cd drive on cable select, and the spare HD on single since there was no cable select option....still undetected. Before the jumpers were master for cd drive, and slave for spare HD.

try putting it (hd) on slave. also try each 0ne without the other to see if you can see them. my guess is the hd is on the slave plug on the ide cable. I would put cd on master and hd on slave if this is how they are plugged in. sometimes with older hds you just have to go trial and error on settings. gl

I put only the HD in without the cd drive, and it showed up. Thanks for your help. All I wanted was to format the HD.

OK I need help again. I formatted the HD previously had FAT32 and Windows ME. I put together an old computer.....P3 800, 512mb ram, etc. I tried installing XP, and after it was loading the files I get this message:

BIOS in system not fully ACPI compliant. It then says to update BIOS. But I have a feeling theres is no BIOS update available for this 6+yr old mobo. So it says to disable, turn off during text mode setup (I don't know what this is). To turn off, press F7 when prompted to install storage drivers (When is this?)

Technical Information:

***STOP: (0x000000A5, 0x823AA890, 0xE1014E50, 0x823AAb88)

you press f7 right at the beginning of installing windows. at the bottom of the screen you will see a press f7 to install 3rd party scsi or other crap drivers. something like that.

OK I was pressing F7 at the start of the windows installation, but that part where it says to install 3rd part scsi and other drivers, it says F6. But I continued to press F7 all it did was make beep sounds. And I get the same error but with this added to the end:

*** pci.sys -Address F848C302 Base at F848B000, DateStamp 41107d31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom