Looking for a temperature program - not SpeedFan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
I've been having some overheating problems with my CPU and was wondering if anyone knew of a program that ran in the background and sent out a warning when the CPU hit a specified temperature. Speedfan doesn't seem to have this option as far as I can tell, I can monitor the temp but I don't get a windowed warning that minimizes the current application.

Basically I'm having problems with my CPU temp spiking. Its random but its tough for me to figure out why its happning because my computer will just shut down. The temp is usually between 40-50 during normal operations, around 55 if I'm playing a 3d game. However, everything will be going fine and suddenly the computer will shut down. When I turn it back on the BIOS shows the temp past the shutdown point of about 70. Problem is this is random. I can play non stop for a couple of weeks without it happening, or it can happen twice in one day. Without a program like the one I describe above I can't figure out whats happening unless I religiously watch the SpeedFan temp, which is obvously a pain while playing a game.

I know the temp is a little high normally, especially since I don't OC. I've had bad luck messing up my computer in the past with installing new fans so I definately don't want to jump the gun and just start installing new things unless I absolutely need to.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2.21 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM
Epox 8NPA SLI Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

You can use Motherboard Monitor to check your temps and set alarms when certain levels are reached (even automatic shutdown, for example if you're leaving a stress test overnight).

Actually I was wondering myself if there is a program that can display and record temperature history. AFAIK, Motherboard Monitor only has limited logging capabilities. A proggy with an onscreen temp history graph would be nice.

EDIT: SpeedFan, duh :mad:

Dang, CPU-z and Everest don't seem to have any temperature readings that I can see. Motherboard Monitor looks perfect but it doesn't recognize my motherboard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom