Seagate HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I have a BIG problem with my seagate 80gig HDD last week I was in windows xp last week and I was working with some graphics and music, I later restarted my pc and before I went to bed it said one of the hal.ddl file was misssing and couldn't boot xp and to reinstall it. I did that and windows xp pro was getting ready load its 2nd step for reinstalling itself but I got a message that said disc read error so I got the ultimate boot disc and used the seagate tool to fill the hard drive with zero's and turned off my pc for 8 hours to let the whole system cool down before using it again.
My main problem is the IBM aptiva does not want to use the hard drives full capacity 80gigs instead it will use 31 gigs for windows xp and thats it. if I resize it to hold more than that I get a disc read error or windows xp can't boot up at all. with the seagate tool can I add 35 gig partition to my HDD without screwing up the windows xp partition ? also does this mean my HDD might die soon ? if so I am in the process of getting ready to buy a new HDD. if its not getting ready to give way should I buy a 120 HDD and slave the 80gig HDD for archiving video and software ?

If the OS is already installed I believe the only reliable partitioning software you should use is Partition Magic. You can find older copies (7.0+) for cheap on Amazon/ebay, I got mine for $18 I think. Great utility.
I'm not the best at stuff like this but I suspect a portion of your hard drive may be corrupted or something. Have you tried running chkdsk /r
or any hd diagnostic softawre? The ultiamte boot cd has several of these, they'll look for mechanical problems and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom