Building First Comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
I want to get an Intel P4 3.2 ghz processor, what is the best mobo that supports that? I have already decided on a case just need to decide on the rest.

Well in terms of what gives a motherboard its support for a cpu, its the chipset, you know VIA, Intel and all that. So I wouldnt concern myself with that, I would be more concerned with the brand. Just look at some high quality manufacurers and pick one that looks like it supports all the other features you want while allowing you to use the processor you want.

I personally like soyo, abit and gigabyte. Im using a soyo motherboard on this system and can tell you they are well worth the money. I have not had ONE problem with it. Thats more than I can say for some.

I was thinking about an asus. As for chipsets and what not, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me with that. I know I want that 3.2ghx intel p4 w/ht technology. If that helps narrow it down.

I'm also looking to get at least 512mb of sdram. 1gb is good too. Can I get a link to some really good memory?

The best SDRAM is made by Crucial:
www.crucial.com

As far as I know if your going with an intel chipset get a 875P chipset for best performance, as it supports an 800mhz bus speed. If that is not important to you go with the last chipset version down, that will support a 533mhz bus speed I believe. Asus also make good boards, or thats what I have heard, I have never used them myself.

Ok here is what I'm considering, For my mobo, and for my processor. Tell me what you think. I am set on the mobo but as for the processor I may be persuaded.

Oh and what is overclocking besides the obvious of speeding it up? How do you that and what are the benefits and side effects?

ChaosBlizzard:
As far as I know if your going with an intel chipset get a 875P chipset for best performance, as it supports an 800mhz bus speed. If that is not important to you go with the last chipset version down, that will support a 533mhz bus speed I believe.

The Intel 865P does support the 800mhz bus-and is much cheaper:D

lazerman said:
Ok here is what I'm considering, For my mobo, and for my processor. Tell me what you think. I am set on the mobo but as for the processor I may be persuaded.

it looks good. ASUS is a good motherboard and there very good in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom