Slow boot-up and slow loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrty

Baseband Member
I have a decent computer. P4 3.4 ghz 1gb ram yada yada.

Im running windows xp pro.

I've been running fine for about 2 months now when all of a sudden my computer started acting up, it first wouldnt boot into windows it would only power up. I did nothing at all and the next day it worked fine again. The day after that everything went to crap, slow boot up into windows (53 blue loading screen bars) and opening windows such as my computer or msconfig took nearly 30-40 seconds to open. I downloaded memtest86 and ran that with no errors to my memory.

Im stumped, can anyone tell me whats going on, I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del and brought up the processes window and nothing seems to be making my cpu run overly much so I dont know whats going on.

Also sound is messed up, When listening to a song and if i open a web browser or any window the song will skip as if it was trying to load a huge program. Could it be my hard drive?

Anyones tips/tricks would help me out right now as im so stumped. Thanks in advance.

Have you ran all your Anti-Virus programs, Ad-ware, Mal-ware, Spy-ware? Run those programs in SAFE MODE to get best results.

Yes Sir, I also have mcafee AV 2005 to protect my system too.
I really do not wanna reformatt AGAIN but it seems that i might have to... *sigh*

Alright, you might have to, there is nothing better than a clean install anyway. :p Do you have a partition to save your important files on?

Thats the problem, I have no way of backing anythign up other than burning it to multiple CD's

Then Ide have to back up emails and sigh.... its such a hassel.

Anyways, Im going to bed, Ill check this thread in the morning, thx to all that help.

Ty trotter for the link, I did every step it told me to, downloaded the software, updated it then ran it in the order on the website. It worked awsome, my programs load instantly like they should be, I deleted all the spyware and stuff those programs found, i uninstalled unnecesary programs and I have very few programs starting up in msconfig (drivers, firewall)

Although I still have one small problem, although my ocmputer when started up runs flawlessly now, it still takes a while to boot up at the windows loading screen with tthe blue bar.

Is there any other tips you can give me to lower this?

Thanks to all that helped me out.
Also I deleted Mcafee and am now using AVG anti-virus.

Edit - Ack it didnt fix the skipping of music. When I play a music file it skips and my mouse skips too, my mouse will skip across the sceen.

What is this from?

I went and downloaded the latest drivers for my sound as well, still nothing fixed... :(

do a google search for bootvis. that will help increase boot speed. i did 4 hours of xp tweaking last night and my comp flys lol.

i used this site - http://www.mdgx.com/wxp.htm has tons of like how to's and boot and shutdown faster things. my computer shuts down in about 5sec, boots in like 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom