Dremel

Status
Not open for further replies.
to cut metal/aluminium?
just get the old model for REAL cheap at like homedepot(i got mine at walmart blowout sale) $45, its the one without the variable speed, just a on and off button, it comes with like two attachments, so:
just get the 250 peice tool set to go with it for like $30

I got a Craftsman Rotary Tool...it's the same as a Dremel, but with Craftsman quality. :)

i got some cosco knockoff for 50 bucks that came with like 300 excessories and its fine.

i like the dremel 395 series, 37k RPM max with variable speed :D. i agree make sure you get a huge accessory pack. one that has plenty of cut-off wheels, preferably re-inforced ones. they waste away quite quickly especially when your first using a dremel.

tips:
use cut off wheels at maximum speed for metal, run the wheel for 30 seconds before you use it though. that is to make sure it isn't compromised. the wheels can shatter at high speed and it's not pretty!!!

always cut away less than needs to be cut and then grind/sand into shape. this way you avoid screwing yourself over by cutting away too much.

for plastics use low speed and only brief contact. if you use high speed and/or contact plastic for more than a short time it will melt. this includes perspex/polycarbonate.

cut off wheel work best if you can cut sideways rather than along the surface of metal. if you are doing a long cut, once you have started it try and get the wheel in and pull along sideways. it will save time and money for cut off wheels.

USE SAFETY GLASSES!!! this is a must. fairly high velocity fragments of random things get flung out all the time and can cause a lot of damage to your eyes. also use a face mask if you can as dust from metals and other things can be harmful to your lungs. the worst thing in my experience is the dust from cutting a PCB (printed circuit board). i learned that the hard way so you don't have to :D

and the number one rule of thumb for case modding...."measure twice, cut once". if you make sure of everything you do it will all go well :D

i learned the melting thing the hard way with my xbox 360 lexan window :(

the cut off wheels really suck, they dont wear down they just snap down the middle and fly in diferent directions at like 200 miles per hour

the cut off wheels really suck, they dont wear down they just snap down the middle and fly in diferent directions at like 200 miles per hour

either you are using very poor quality discs or you need to revise your technique ;) sounds like you're applying to much pressure. the idea of a high speed rotary tool is that you don't need to apply much pressure at all, basically not much more than a firm guiding grip.

You guys are getting me nervous... :(
But can anybody link me to one, preferably 60 dollars or so with all the cut off wheels... Please... :0

:confused: sorry i can't help as i wouldn't know where to start for american hardware. out of curiosity, is it impossible for you to buy one retail? for something that you are going to be using in your hand

don't be worried, it's not that hard and as long as you use common sense nothing bad will happen. just get some scrap pieces of metal to practice on. i have an old tower case that was unusable when i got it (no way to mount stand offs) so i've butchered it in the name of practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom