when buying a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

baloon

Solid State Member
Do you know what do we have to bring into concern when we want to buy a new computer (CPU and monitor), like how much is for memory and speed. How much mem good, how much speed is considered to be fast or slow?

I don't know anything about computer, so can you please tell me in detail. And what we use to compare between computers?

Or if you know any website that can give you some advice, or ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!

it depends on how much you want to spend.
if you do not know what to buy. i think you can go to an online dealer.
select a component, list the prices in descending order.
find out where the price differences are not that much
e.g. P4 processor 3.2 might be 300 dollars
3.0 might be 200
2.8 might be 160
2.6 might be 130
2.4 might be 110

now if you have a lot of cash, then just go for the most expensive, else go for say 2.8 or 3.0

make a list of the components you want to buy, and then check them for compatibility. post them on the site and see what people say.

i think one builds the pc around a mobo/processor combination.

i have read postsy which say that abit or asus make the best mobos. i read in a mag that gigabyte made a good one, so i went for a gigabyte. my previous mobo was also a gigabyte.

I think you should compare the following:
FSB(Frontside Bus) speed
Processor's Clock Speed(somewhat overrated)
Processor's Cache Size
Hard Drive Capacity
Graphics Card
Amount of RAM
Monitor Size and Type
Chipset

How did you come to the conclusion that the Core Clock Speed is over rated? I dont know about you but I can tell the diffrence between a 1.0Ghz machine and a 2.0Ghz machine..

Also the Core Clock times the IPC equals how many operations per clock it can process.

If the processor has more clock cycles it can cramb more IPC in.
Hence the faster the core clock, the more instructions it can take in a give cycle.
200mhz=200 million cycles, say 6 IPC, so thats 6x200million, or 1.2 billion instructions.

IPC=Instruction per cycle

baloon said:
Do you know what do we have to bring into concern when we want to buy a new computer (CPU and monitor), like how much is for memory and speed. How much mem good, how much speed is considered to be fast or slow?

I don't know anything about computer, so can you please tell me in detail. And what we use to compare between computers?

Or if you know any website that can give you some advice, or ideas, please let me know!

I work in computer sales.

The 2 question i ask every one is this :-

1. What do you want to do with your computer ?

2. How much do you want to spend ?

The main reason is that their is no point in getting a computer that like a Intel Penitium 4 3.2 Ghz CPU with A 256Mb Video card if the only thing you will be doing MS Word and surfing the internet.

Personally, I am more of an AMD fanatic myself.
ONe thing that I do concentrate on is getting the most BANG for my BUCK.
With that I mean, don't get the latest and greatest as the prices will come down.
And don't get the lowest thing on the market as it will be quickly superseeded.

And with that, AMD Athlon 2600, 256Mb Ram, 80 GB Hard Drive. As for video card, if you are game player, then nothing lower than a GeForce FX5200 128Mb Ram. Otherwise, a GeForce 2 MX400 64Mb will keep you happy.

Re: Re: when buying a new computer

Silesia said:
I work in computer sales.

The 2 question i ask every one is this :-

1. What want do you want to do with your computer ?

2. How much do you want to spend ?

The main reason is that their is no point in getting a computer that like a Intel Penitium 4 3.2 Ghz CPU with A 256Mb Video card if the only thing you will be doing MS Word and surfing the internet.

"1. What want do you want to do with your computer ?"
Are you ok buddy? Prob just the late hours talking, or were getting a little tippsy...

But if a processor can provide 7 ipc its clock cycle wouldn't have to be as high as a processor whose ipc is 6.

Therefore clock speed isn't the only thing by which to measure a processor's performance.
I'm sorry if I was implying that clock speed couldn't be a measurement of a processor's performance at all.

Northbridge said:
But if a processor can provide 7 ipc its clock cycle wouldn't have to be as high as a processor whose ipc is 6.

Therefore clock speed isn't the only thing by which to measure a processor's performance.
I'm sorry if I was implying that clock speed couldn't be a measurement of a processor's performance at all.

Yes and another performance factor is the bus speed.

Example:
Amd has a higher IPC than intel
Intel has a higher bus than amd

Amd also has a slower core than intel

There are just about two ways to make a high performance chip. Make it process a high amount of IPC and have a lower core, or the opposite. As you can see on bench marks thats why the readings on similar intel vs amd chips arent that far off from each other. Either way you will increase the performance of the chip. Its just that amd's way of doing it forces more through the chip at once so to speak, this is what makes more heat. :)

Re: Re: Re: when buying a new computer

ChaosBlizzard said:
"1. What want do you want to do with your computer ?"
Are you ok buddy? Prob just the late hours talking, or were getting a little tippsy...

No, just half distracted at I am telling off HP Tech Support...... (yet again) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom