Upgrading My CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodieman

In Runtime
First off I know its still an older CPU. I will be upgrading fully once DX10 comes out...

Ok then

I have two questions regarding windows and performance once I install my new cpu I ordered from newegg.

My current specs are as follows:

Intel P4 2.0GHz OC @ 2.6 STABLE
Socket 478 mPGA
NorthWood
533MHz FSB
8Kb L1 Data
12Kuops L1 Trace
512Kb L2
i845PE Intel Chipset
MMX,SSE,SSE2
No Hyper Threading

[Note] This CPU does not support AGP 8X

Running with the following:

Asus P4P800 SE MotherBoard
2Gb DDR 400 1X1Gb/2X512Mb
Asus 6600 128Mb AGP 8X [SOON TO BE A 6800XT 256Mb]
SoundBlaster Audigy 4
80Gb WD Sata 2 7200Rpm
550 Watt PS

plus the appropriate fans all Zalman including CPU/GPU
5 80mm's
1 120mm

My New CPU:

Intel P4 3.0Ghz
Socket 478 mPGA
Presscot
800 FSB
12Kb L1 Data
16Kuops L1 Trace
1Mb L2
i865PE Chipset
MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3
Hyper Threading [YES]

Now in regards to performance I am certain I will see a noticible difference in speed/power but I am wondering how much you all think I will get..

Give me a % if you can..

I am currently playing games on this rig [BF2/2142] med/high settings @ agp 4x I know!

In regards to Windows I am wondering! [do I or Will I] need to format/reinstall. I think i should and it is not a problem but once again.

What do you think?

Thanks guys ALOT

No idea whatsoever since I never upgraded the P4 northwood machine I got, but since your new one has a bigger L2 cache and 1ghz stock advantage... I'd guess a pretty noticeable gain. I know, I shouldn't give such an obvious answer, but sorry man, I have no experience with any other P4 then the one I have.

Also you don't need to reformat and reinstall XP... though its best to do so, but XP will run fine if you don't change out the mobo, but even if you did, XP would still run.

I guess it isn't easy to tell, to get the percentage for your machine would require you to benchmark your old system spec then with the new CPU. But you should get significant improvement on 800 FSB over the old 533, plus the new CPU spec are better than the old. You're probably going to overclock it to, no?

its not the cpu that supports agp 4X or 8X, its the motherboard. so if you get a new cpu, but the motherboard only supports 4X AGP, you'll still only be able to use your video card in 4x AGP... but thats not that big of a deal, 4X is bandwidth enough...

but the 6800xt isn't a big improvement over the 6600...

well I know my board supports AGP 8x that is the reason I bought it. I also I know for a fact that my current CPU does not have AGP 8x Intel told me that on the phone. Yes I will be overclocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom