Repair Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
I am running Windws XP Professional, and I keep gettin' errors. Like Runtime errors, and others that I can't remember. I would like to do a repair install to try and fix the errors. Yet, whenever I boot from the Windows XP CD, I get into the setup screen, I press enter, then F8, but I can't repair the disk, I can only reinstall the OS, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?!?!?! I have done a repair install on the same disk, with the same CD.

I've done everything right, but when I get to where I can choose to repair Pro, I don't get that screen, I just get a screen that says "Partition C" "D" ect. ect...

Edit : Could it have anything to do with my Professional system NOT having a boot.ini?

what is with you people and being so worried about that boot file? Boot.ini doesn't have anything to do with formating or repairing a HDD using the windows CD. You probibly just missed an option or something. Also, make sure that the partition is NTFS, otherwise it will require a formate and most likely won't give you the option of repairing. Other than that, you stumped me.

Oh it doesn't? Is that why when I didn't have a boot.ini file, Windows Setup could not perform a Repair Install because it could not detect my installed OS, yet, when I went into Windows Setup with the "Repair Console," used bootcfg /rebuild. Rebooted, I had my "boot.ini" file back, rebooted and the repair install worked fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom