Fried USB reader, help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sup2jzgte05

In Runtime
Hey I need some help because I just fried my USB card reader. I just got the following case and PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811190080

well I took my Compaq 4410US motherboard which is a TR100 and put it in there. Well Everything was fine until I plugged in my USB card reader into the front USB ports. The minute I did I heard pop and smoke coming from the Reader. I'm not sure what happened, but I have a good feeling that I hooked it up wrong but the case nor the mother board has any info on what pin is what. anyone have any ideas? I contacted HP support, but they are useless.

Two possibilities:

You plugged in a USB 2.0 product into a front USB slot that is only USB 1.1 (11MB/s). USB 2.0's speed is about 120MB/s.

Your card reader is fried, and you better pray that you have the receipt :D

I know the front usb ports on the case are 2.0, but the board is 1.1. So that is more than likely the issue. I didnt think that would matter

I would try NOT using the front USB ports. They aren't designed for the motherboard; they're designed for the old motherboard that supported USB 2.0.

Does anything happen when you plug in the USB card reader to the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom