NVIDIA G80 Spy Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
I read today that G80 will actually have 128 unified pipelines

Well, maybe it was only rumor then. I read a while back that the R600 would have something like 64 Pixel pipelines, and the G80 only had 32 Pixel pipelines.

EDIT:
DirectX 10 API, which is also referred to as Windows Graphics Foundation 2.0, solves numerous performance-related problems, particularly, it shrinks overhead time spent by API and driver on execution. Additionally, ATI says its first DirectX 10 graphics processor – code-named R600 – will have unified shader micro-architecture, which will allow to boost performance even further compared to currently existing micro-architectures and . The performance improvements are conditioned by a special built-in arbiter processor, which will “tailor” rendering of every frame across the 64 unified shader pipelines. Such an approach, according to ATI, allows to utilize all execution engines within the chip, while in traditional architectures – where pixel shaders and vertex shaders are calculated by dedicated units – some of the arithmetic processors may stand idle waiting for others to complete their tasks.

Source

T TURNS that the fancy Nvidia G80 chip taped out, and in working silicon stage it will have 32 pixel Shaders and, as predicted, have 16 vertex and geometry Shaders.

Source

If the final product does end up coming out like this, I know for sure I won't be buying it. But like it's been said, I'm also sure they would shrink it a little bit.

What conerns me is my 7800gt is already quite large, and the end of the card comes less then a quarter inch or so of my SATA cable. This is with my suprano case.

I will probably also wait until the second version of DX10 is out to buy a DX10 card. History seems to repeat itself often in this industry.

And 64 pixel pipelines sounds intense.

Jeez...the size of that card...maybe it will lead to a ATX Super Tower instead of the Full Tower.

if nvidia doesent shrink that card, we will need new gigantic motherboards with lots of extra space just for that long videocard.

j369852147412 said:
if nvidia doesent shrink that card, we will need new gigantic motherboards with lots of extra space just for that long videocard.

Yeah...that, and you're gonna need a frigin brace to hold it up. :eek:

it will shrink, the question is how much will it shrink? i remember when the X800 first came out and it had a huge heatsink/fan on it, now a few revisions and 2 years down the road its tiny. i think that they are getting out of hand, and something does need to be done, we need small gpu dies that require less power and generate less heat, if we dont do that soon the graphics card will be generating more heat than the cpu (if it dosent already)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom