Compatability and Quality questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

YitzMeier

Beta member
to all you Tech-Geniuses out there...

I am planning on building my own gaming system soon, and I have compiled a list of the components I am planning on using.
My questions are as follows:

Are there any compatability red flags that pop up when you look at this list? (Either brand, or format)

Are there better brands I might choose instead of what I have here?

Are there better places to buy the items then TigerDirect, NewEgg, or SMK?

I would ask that if you have a suggestion, please post it!
Tell me what you would buy different, and where you would buy it from, or anything that you feel might be relevant.

Here's the List:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300
Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
$220
(Bought direct from Intel through a special dealer program)

*Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA-300 Hard Drive 160GB
I heard that Samsung is a better bet for an HD, so a similar one from Samsung is fine.
Amount Budgeted: $60-$70

* Enermax, Antec, Hiper, OCZ, TTGI, S.Flower, ToPower
PSU. I did have an Ultra picked out, but read bad things about them on the forums here. I like some of the Enermax's I've found on NewEgg, because they're designed to be quiet according to NewEgg. What make/models are good in the 500W range? (keep in mind it needs to power the SATA HD) I'd like a somewhat quiet PC...
Amount Budgeted: $70-$80

*APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Amount Budgeted: $70

*Video Card: eVGA 7900GS 256 DDR3 PCx16
I've read good things about eVGA on this site and others.
Amount Budgeted: $200

RAM - Ultra or OCZ or Mushkin 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (debating 1 or 2 GB total)
Amount Budgeted $100-$240

Samsung DVD-RW Drive
Amount Budgeted: $30-$40

2X 120mm fans of reliable brand.
Amount budgeted: they're cheap, I don't care...

The reason I ask about compatability is that my best friend recently built a PC from scratch for a buddy of his. The MoBo was not at all friendly to that brand of RAM, and the PC would randomly crash in WOW and everything else, and restart it self.
This was not an overnight ordeal, it took 2-3 weeks to get it all figured out, and I saw him get very frustrated with all of it. I would like to avoid that situation if possible. I've heard good things about Kingston RAM being overall very compatable.

I have no brand loyalties, only a fetish for quality and performance. I don't have an unlimited budget. I am fairly versed in PC software, but hardware is a little newer field for me. I don't know much compared to most people, but I love to learn. I have no agenda other than to learn, build a great computer, and have fun.
Programs I want to run:
Battlefield 2142
World of Warcraft
FarCry
Half Life 2
CS:Source
Unreal tourny
PS7
CS2
etc.

So...I humbly ask for all the help I can get.
I would like to photograph the whole project and eventually post it for others to use as a reference.
Thanks for all your help

Yitz

I really cannot stress enough with people that getting conroes less than the 6600 is a unwise investment (from the technical vs economical side). Yes all C2D are powerful but one of the largest benefits from purchasing a C2D is the 4MB L2 cache. All the models below have a 2MB L2 cache. And you will get the bang for your buck. As far as compatability goes all of it fits. As far as ram goes unless you plan on OCing go with economy 2gb.

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

how much of a price jump are we talking on a 6600?
Is it really going to be noticable as a gamer? Why is that?
(I'm naturally curious) =).
The extra $50 for the 7900 GTO is a possibility...
I learned once the hard way, I will never skimp on a video card again.
thanks again,

Yitz

idk about the whole e5300 being a bad idea thing but, the 7900gto is the best bang for your buck out there right now and i really strees you get it for the performance increase you will receive for the little price

the e 6300 is $180, and the e6600 is $316. i got all the prices from newegg.

Dammit people, it's spelled C-O-M-P-A-T-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y! I'm Mexican and I don't make such mistakes, you should be ashamed.

I apologize in advance.

UPDATED list

Here's the updated list according to the suggestions I'v gotten so far.
Feel free to add any critiques or thoughts.
One last question...are the Aspire cases heavy? (this one weighs 20 pounds, but I don't know if that's light or heavy in the way of cases...)
I understand a heavier case vibrates less...so it's not as noisy with the fans.
120mm fans are quieter too right? My thoughts were that if it was a rattlebox, I could Dyna-Mat the inside of the case...or pick a new case out of the numerous cases online.
And are Antec PSU's fairly quiet (over all)?
here's the list:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300
Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
$220

*Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA-300 Hard Drive 160GB TSD-160AS3, TigerDirect.com (check Samsung) $60
or a
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM, $70, NewEgg

*Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL - Retail $90

*APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, NEWEGG, N82E16811144151
A107-1050, TigerDirect
$70

EVGA GeForce 7900 GTO / 512MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / RoHS TigerDirect.com $250
OR
eVGA GeForce 7900GS for $200ish

RAM mushkin Enhanced Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory $105, NewEgg.com

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology - OEM -$30 NewEgg

2X 120mm fansÂ…$25 ea

I think I'mma need to mod the case to get the 2nd 120mm fan in there...
I know all the modders just cheered that another one joined the revolution.

Thanks again all

Yitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom