Upgrade computer or Rebuild a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Vinsanity
My computer is average, but the main thing that holds me back is that it still has an agp slot and no pci-E. So here is my system specs, Do you think I can make some good upgrades to make it better or should i just start by rebuilding a new pc. I really want to be able to play BF 2142 on medium settings when it comes out. What do you think?

-AMD Athlon 64 3000+
-Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 mobo w/ AGP 8x.
-Asus 6600 AGP 8x videocard 128mb
-PNY 2x512mb ddr400 ram
-NEC DVD Burner
-Seagate 160GB PATA HDD
-Raidmax 380watt PSU
-Cooler Master Centurion

What do you guys think I should do? I have aroudn 600 in my bank and Im goign to be getting aroudn a hundred or two for my bday. I have a job but i dont want to spend all my money in the bank, so my maximum budget is liek 800, but I don't want to spend it all if i dont have to. I need suggestions.

You can get a high end AGP card and you'll be just fine, and probably buy another gig of RAM. You can go with a new motherboard with PCI-E, and probably use most of what you have there and just get a new video card.

Do you plan on upgrading your computer any time after this? If not, I think you could play BF with a high end AGP card. I think it is cheaper to buy a high end AGP card over a new motherboard + PCI-E card. If you do plan on upgrading later, then you are better off building a new PC.

Ya i dont think I wil be planning on upgradin too much later, cuz in around a year or so ill be in college and wont have too much times for games, but I'll just use my computer for media and average computing.
So If i go with a high end AGP card then what AGP card should i buy? I saw the 7800GS but those are kinda pricy for the performance. What do you guys think?

BTW if i do get this new videocard i probly will want to get an AMD X2 3800+ later on when vista comes out.

Go with these:

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

RAM: G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231039

Vid card: eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR Geforce 7900GTO 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130065

Total is just under $590, and there is a rebate on the mobo right now.

Then you can sell your current motherboard, RAM, and video card to recoup some of your expense. You can probably get $150 for the lot of them.

I don't exactly know what kind of computer will be required for the new BF, but here are what the requirements say:

CPU: 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more
VIDEO: 128Mb Video card or more

I can't recommend you a video card for that game because I don't really know what specs you need, so I will let someone else answer that.

As for Windows Vista, I believe the rumored price is at $450 right now, so I don't plan on getting it right away. You don't really need Windows Vista until a few years after is released and is stable.

So should i go with Trotter's idea or should i buy a high end AGP card, If i do go with Trotter's idea I'd just get the mobo and Videocard and keep my ram that i have now since ddr ram is expensive.

That'll work, but BF likes lots of RAM.

You could just get a couple more sticks of 512 to go with what you have. Accessing four banks is a tad slower that accessing two, but you will never be able to tell that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom