Complete My Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very solid choice broshky. That would be perfect for your OS and games. And just purchase a 250gig or 320gig for your media files, which im assuming you have. Theirs no point in filling up your 150 with files that don't benefit from it.

Yeah, I'm still learning this computer stuff, I'm just trying to make what little sense I can of what I am buying.

Ha. Well I guess that's what were here for. Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

It sounds as if you have some cash to spare if you're going to buying a $260 hard drive. If this is the case, then you could get 2x 74gig raptors and set them up in Raid-0.

I know i know, if one drive fails, then youll loose everything. You do run twice the risk of a drive failing, but I've never had a WD drive fail on me. And you could always run a RAID 0+1.

But two 74 gig raptors would be insanelyyyyyyyyyyyyy fast. Windows, apps,and games would load like it's nothing.

The 150 raptor is actually only $229 and even has a $30 mail in rebate to boot.

I'll be honest though, I'm hesitant to go RAID with my computer since this will be my first build and I have no clue what I'm doing!

Ohhhhh I see. That makes sense then. Don't worry about raid then. Stick with the 150, I'm sure it'll be more then enough. 230, that sounds like a really good deal.

If you had someone that has some experience building computers then id suggest setting up a RAID, their's really not much to it.

I take it you'll be assembling the computer yourself? Any help from anyone experienced? Whatever you do, make sure you ground yourself. Work on the computer on a table, if you can't get a anti static band, groud youreslf by having a hand on the case, and don't try and force parts in their slots.

Yeah I will be doing it myself. I'll read up on the tutorials a bit more before I begin.

Good idea. And definetly come back here if you have any questions at all. It's way better to wait and find out how to do it right then it is to do something you THINK is right, especially dealing with products that are costing you this much money.

I know you're going to read up on how to do it, but i'm going to
just to point out a few things I know you're probably going to run into, you may already know but just incase-

- Your CPU probably has a triangle on the upper left corner of it. Line this up also with the top left corner on the mobo. This will ensure the CPU pins line up with the holes. Also, this should require zero force, meaning it should drop right in.

-Before you pull the lever down to lock the CPU in, make sure the CPU is infact all the way in. Not doing so could end up breaking or bending pins on the CPU.

-Make sure to apply the thermal compound accordingly. If you're using the stuff that came with your heatsink, you'll want to spread a thin, even layer at the top of the CPU evenly.
If your using another type, like artic silver 5 that you would buy seperatly, you'll want to just use a pea size dot on the top, when you put the heatsink on, it spreads itself. I myself have not used it, but i've heard this is what many people do and it works great.

-Groud yourself. A tiny amount of static can ruin your mobo and other parts. If you don't have a static band or anything, you can ground yourself by having one hand on the case or PSU. I myself have worked on computers without doing anything, and have been fine. But it is definetly recommended that you have some sort of closed circuit way to get circulate the static elec.

-Since you are using 2gigs of ram, I'm guessing that it's 2x 1 gig sticks. Look on the motherboard where the dimm slots are. You'll notice their are 4-dimm slots. Each are colored. You'll notice looking from left to right, the 1st dimm slot is one color, the second one is another, the 3rd one is the same as the first, and the 4th is the same as the 2nd. To have your memory run in dual channel, which im sure your mobo supports, all you need to do it put one stick in the first dimm slot, and the second stick in the 3rd dimm slot. Make sure each are all the way in. And push on the clips on the end to lock them in.

Those are the most important things I can think of right now. I didn't cover much at all, just some general information I thought you should know. Good luck with the build!

RAID PCI card

On the RAID point, what about when using a RAID config from a PCI Card (RAID) controller, for those of us who don't have RAID controller buiilt into the Mobo?

In CMOS, does the Boot sequence need to be adjusted, to read from the specific RAID controller installed PCI card, given that the HDs are connected directly to that card (as opposed to an IDE/SATA to the mobo)?
If anyone has experience in utilizing a RAID PCI card setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom