Gaming Hard Drive(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far As I know 16 MB Cache is relativily new. Most HD's are still 8 MB.
It has to do with binary. For example, we have many 64 Bit compatible CPUS now, however the software and much hardware has not been designed to use 64 Bit paths yet. So its probably similar to HD's having 16MB cache. They will get bigger in the future.
So the reason is that Larger Caches are probably still in development or they have some electrical problem to overcome before then Can expand to larger Caches.
Just a Guess, if you want you could google around.

The thing to remember here is that Cache in this context is Hardware oriented. It is only a holding cell for information requested by the CPU.

Yea I have a basic knowledge of Binary, but not full blown. I think I just may have to google that. I wonder if someday, since I don't know if hard drives can really spin any faster then SCSI speeds, if the cache can maybe reach 1gig? Or would their be no point for that?

TheOtis said:
Yea I have a basic knowledge of Binary, but not full blown. I think I just may have to google that. I wonder if someday, since I don't know if hard drives can really spin any faster then SCSI speeds, if the cache can maybe reach 1gig? Or would their be no point for that?

Eventually it would if we continue to use the current Harddrive designs,
they may develop a different Types of storage by then.

I see. After reading about the Gigabyte i-ram or whatever, it got me thinking of someday that would take over data storage. It just seems like hard drives are so limited to what they can and can't do. And using memory is wayyyy faster. But it wouldn't be benificial(sp) to anyone if it'll only continute to support up to 4gigs. And as far as I know the largets memory module you can buy is only a 2 gig. And the price would have to come down considerably in price.

"2x 36 gb raptor in radi 20000 rpm"

LOL

wow that just made my day.

I guess this means I have a 5.8 GHz Processor!!! :p

Hahaha,and I have a 5.2 Ghz!!! Oh wouldn't that be sweet.

I had a good laugh at that as well.

I'm sure the "the radi" was a typo. I think someone REALLY must of missinformed him.

2 hard drives running at 10k rpms does NOT mean that they're running at the equivilant(sp) of a 20k rpm hard drive. And I don't see that ever happening in the near future. 15K rpm is rediculously fast as it is.

EDIT: If he honsetly thought that it means they run at 20k then we, as a forum whole, must of REALLY missinformed him haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom