Gaming Hard Drive(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directly, they don't. I am showing them to point out that a 74GB raptor - which is twice as expensive as the 250GB 7.2k - is only 11.2MB/s faster in transfer speeds.

By all means get them if you can't upgrade any other component until then I would not reccomend them.

A standard (but larger) 7200rpm hard drive is 'good enough' if it means that you get better hardware in areas where it matters.

... raptors, are for showing off

and for EXTREME enthusiists who dont build a comp for performance, but more to show off and bloat about... even when the couple fps increase costs twice as much

imo of course :D

alexsabree said:
well for starters they dont increase your gaming fps, all they do is make the game load faster on the loading screen, and they generate way to much heat
Have you owned one? I dont think you have. Do they make everything load much faster. Yes. I even tested it out.. when I formated the raptor I though heck, I'll put it on the 7200 RPM to see the diffrence. Oh my lanta! Boy was I suprised. Garry's mod took about 8 minutes instead of the normal 4 to rebuild the cache, Loading the OS took longer as well lets not forget those long massive BF2 wait times now shall we? And second what about Heat. My 200GB 7200 RPM runs hotter then my raptor, and my raptor is only at 37 Degrees celcius. Of course it get's hot, but thats why you go get some fans and cool BOTH hard drvies regardless of RPM or cache or physical space so they last longer. Everyone knows that.

alexsabree said:
All u need to look for in a harddrive is space, cache, and make sure its 7500rpm and not 5000

7200 RPM and 5400 RPM, dude, take like 5 seconds to look over your post, it makes you look smarter and isn't that hard.

What about interface? I'd rather have a sata drive as my master and not an IDE.

I've noticed a difference in a couple areas. The biggest one being the time it took for my raptor to format. Second being the time it takes windows to load, and third being the time it takes for maps to load. But does that justify paying almost $200 for 74 gigs?

Hardly.

Do I regret it? Kinda. It's performed great and did exactly what I expected. I mean it's a hard drive, you can't expect hard drives to do much considering how limited you are.

But would I buy one again? Probably not.

Recently it's been makeing some noises like its DIEING. But WD has a 5 year warrenty on it, so I may have to send it in.

I'd suggest buying two WD 80 gigs and setting them up in a RAID-0. They're already great hard drives, and only $40-$50 depending on where you look. And I'd bet two 80's in a RAID-0 array would be on par with raptor.

lancec2c30 said:
what apps. use all of a 16mb cache? cause my wd 320 sata/2 has only a 8MB, not a 16.
A 16MB cache has nothing to do with what software can use it.
Its cache, software will use it reguardless of how big or small it is. because its a Hardware Cache on the HD itself. the harddrive holds data in its cache until the CPU requests it. Just like CPU cache. The Cache is invisible to the Software..

Your Question is like saying Will the Oil in my car be able to use the New Oil Filter. (Yes I KNOW i suck at Examples and similars..)

Hey ste question for ya buddy.

I've only noticed HD's having no more then 16MB for cache. Do you know the reason for this? Why can't they do 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom