vista hangs during install

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverferro

Beta member
I have got vista RC1(5600) downloaded from microsoft.I have the trial key which microsoft sent me too. The problem is vista installs with out and probems but when it reboots for the 1st time after installling initial drivers and setup files, it hangs at the part where it says "updating DMI pool data...." and nothing happens after that. Can someone help me?

I have :
MSI K7N2 DELTA2-LSR Mainboard
512 MB DDR
160 GIG SATA2 seagate
20 GIG IDE maxtor in IDE slot 2 set as master
Sumsung DVDRW in IDE slot 1 set as master.
INNO3D GForce4 MX 440 SE AGP 8X
450W Power supply.

512 is the minimal requirements.

How long did you let it try and install? Vista shouldnt take that long but i also run 2GB of RAM and it took me 22 minutes to install. So on 512 it should take a bit longer.

My first question is did you put this on a partition? How did you go about the install? From DVD or from mounted ISO? Do you have anything plugged into you USB slots besides a Keyboard and Mouse?

Answer some of those questions and i can further help you try and get Vista installed.

I used the advisor tool and it didn't find any faults with ram and I have seen people using vista on 512MB.

I let it install and walked away for a good 30 mins atleast to watch TV. When I came back it was showing "DMI data update" in the dos like black background. So I retired a few times and it halts at the same place each time.

Yes I use a partion for OS&APPS and another for storage on the seagate 160GIG SATA. So that I don't loose stuff like MP3 when I need to install windows again.I also have another 20GIG maxtor IDE drive for downloads and TV card recordings.

I burned the DVD ISO to a dvd and booted from the DVD.
I have nothing else otehr then mouse and keayboard in usb.

Thanks for helping me.

Alright you will need at least 20GB to isntall Vista. So make sure you are using that.

How did you burn the ISO? Did you use Nero by any chance? I think that may be where it went wrong for you. Nero has a habit of breaking Vista ISO's when it burns them. I prefer to use Alcohol 120%. But whatever you use make sure to burn it at either 4x or 6x to make sure no data gets corrupted. That seems to happen alot with the faster burns of Vista.

To me that what sounds like what happened.

OK problem solved. Some how windows vista can't run on a drive which has been prepared by Acronis Disk Director. I found this when I replaced my main drive with a spare one and used Acronis Disk Director to use the full drive as one partition and formated it then install vista. The same problem where setup got stuck at "updating DMI pool data" occoured. Then I swaped another drive and this time too lazy to be bothered to format and parition with Acronis Disk Director I just partioned and formated the drive within vista during setup. And WALA!! it finished setup and rebooted to vista desktop. I was puzzled if partionioning with Acronis Disk Director was the problem. I again swaped the drive to the older one I prepared with Acronis Disk Director and this time, I partioned and formated within vista and the it worked. SO the problem is using Acronis Disk Director and Vista togather.

Hope Acronis fixes this problem soon. I like their products very much compared to others. Their products do a great clean job without wasting even a bit and much faster then competing products.

I ran into problems with RC1 and partitioning also, it had to do with dual booting with Linux. Linux partition was active, had to make the Windows XP Pro partition active because I was installing Vista onto an extended logical partition.

If you get a message saying "Windows Vista can not continue because the drive doesn't meet it's criteria" something like that, it's usually related to your partitioning scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom