Wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much experience do you have with building PC's?

General rule of thumb.

rest case on it's side.
Motherboard... put it on the foam and antistatic bag it comes in near case.
Install CPU and heatsink, "Properly".
Install one stick of ram, "Properly".
connect power supply, "8 pin / 4 pin" and 24 pin.
connect case front panel connecters to motherboard.
(power LED, reset LED)

Make sure power switch is on . PSU.

Press case power button. (Test for a post)

That's what I do with every build. That way, you at least know all components are working. Then mount it inside the case... And then install other components.

Now, there is something you should check with that motherboard. Check the manual and find out where the CMOS jumper is. Some motherboards come with the CMOS jumper in the clear position to save the battery on the shelf. If the CMOS jumper is in the clear position, things will seem to power up and then shut off right away.
You'll need to move the jumper to the normal position. Also, find the CMOS battery and make sure there isn't a small piece of plastic under it. I've had a few motherboards that ship like that to also save on battery shelf life.

experience really is key...and it doesn't take building a ton of PCs...just knowing what does what or doesn't do what...lol

then reading and studying just like you were to become a doctor until you fully understand

If you were my patient and I was a doctor...I'd keep your chest open for a week or more if something stumped me...but I'd keep you alive! I swear! :p

Nos can build, of that I have no doubt.

Maybe bum CPU. I'd try it in another system.

HAVOC2k5 said:
How much experience do you have with building PC's?

General rule of thumb.

rest case on it's side.
Motherboard... put it on the foam and antistatic bag it comes in near case.
Install CPU and heatsink, "Properly".
Install one stick of ram, "Properly".
connect power supply, "8 pin / 4 pin" and 24 pin.
connect case front panel connecters to motherboard.
(power LED, reset LED)

Make sure power switch is on . PSU.

Press case power button. (Test for a post)

That's what I do with every build. That way, you at least know all components are working. Then mount it inside the case... And then install other components.

Now, there is something you should check with that motherboard. Check the manual and find out where the CMOS jumper is. Some motherboards come with the CMOS jumper in the clear position to save the battery on the shelf. If the CMOS jumper is in the clear position, things will seem to power up and then shut off right away.
You'll need to move the jumper to the normal position. Also, find the CMOS battery and make sure there isn't a small piece of plastic under it. I've had a few motherboards that ship like that to also save on battery shelf life.

Great Tips.

Dont forget, having a single riser out of place can short out an entire motherboard.

I did that hence the reason for my boot problems, I couldn't get passed the 4 LED'S and system beeps and it wouldn't post until I found out my little mistake ;)

after looking through the .pdf manual of that MSI 975x platinum, i found that it ships with something called the "D-BRACKET".

Which is a usb PCI bracket, but it has (4 - diagnostic lights on it - used for troubleshooting problems.) THe light codes are in the manual, to help figure out where the problem is.

HAve you use that? If not, Try it.

I bet you its that OCZ ram

that stuff is having a lot of compatibility issues apparently.

for me i never took the plastic cover of the cpu so it was over heating and shutting down stupid but simple fix

HAVOC2k5 said:
after looking through the .pdf manual of that MSI 975x platinum, i found that it ships with something called the "D-BRACKET".

Which is a usb PCI bracket, but it has (4 - diagnostic lights on it - used for troubleshooting problems.) THe light codes are in the manual, to help figure out where the problem is.

HAve you use that? If not, Try it.

hrm, i didnt notice that, i think i'll give that a shot right now, thanks for the tip.. you've been real helpful for me.. your not online now.. but i guess its worth a try..

and as for building.. i've built 2 amd pc's and done a good amount of browsing with a celeron build... 472 i think? anyway... i won't be shipping until about monday so i guess i'll try what lord anthrax has also said.. i'll try turning it on with it out of the case, maybe it is a misplaced riser problem

UA_Iron said:
I bet you its that OCZ ram

that stuff is having a lot of compatibility issues apparently.

its still shutting on and off with the ram out, its only when the cpu is in that it shuts on and off

and if i've gotten 2 dead cpu's in a row.. then i just don't care.. i'd give up on intel.. lol... i'll give it my last few shots these couple days..

and trotter, i'd love to try it in another system... but i don't know anybody around me that has a socket 775 system... once i get money i could try to get another mobo.. but i don't wanna have to wait that long.... so if this doesnt work out, i will just go back to amd for the meantime, and i guess try again later...

Sorry about your problems nos, have you tried testing the system outside the case? It could be a grounding issue. I'd suggest getting a different motherboard, perhaps the DFI infinity 975x from a microcenter or frys, and another e6600 if you think yours is DOA. That way if you run into the same problem, you can just return it, instead of mailing it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom