ReVamped: First PC, Need Comments/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProSlayer

Baseband Member
My Gaming Rig, Need Comments/Help

I am thinking of removing the sound card and just use the onboard motherboard sound. The extra money will go to a better CPU or Video card. I am on a $1,000 budget. This would be everything I am buying, so let me know if I am missing something. I don't know if I need any extra cooling fans.

Here are the specifics:

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Video Card - eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR Geforce 7900GTO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Power Supply - HIPER 4M480 ATX 480W Power Supply - Retail

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400 - Retail

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

CD Drive - LITE-ON CD Burner Black IDE Model SOHR-5239V BK RT - Retail

Other - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

gmanych said:
Yea cut the sound card... Everything elese looks fine... Have a safe build :)

Thanks for your original advice about switching to Intel Core 2 Duo. Do you think I should upgrade the CPU or video card with the extra money from the sound card cut?

um if you want to be really detailed, get a better brand for dvd drive, i havent searched them in a while so urs might be ok but lg, toshiba, sony's the way to go, though they just end up being lite-on with thier brand onthe tray :)

why dont you want the hiper 580w? id say its worth the extra cash
(the fans are very silent, but it gets hot even with two)

if your not gonan go totally insane oc'ing, save some on cheaper mem and manybe go 2gig, like g.skill(just an option xms is really good, dont worry)

you wont need extra fans the case will have atleast two, but when you get it biult, you will want to add, cases always have empty fan slots, and get a cpu and gpu air cooling later, but i think that case doesnt have a window right?

What was the sound card you had in there? You have to realize, if your playing games or anything, if you sound isn't apt, it can lag your game just as bad as a crappy video card. I'd recommend the Creative X-fi music version, very high quality card, not too expensive. As for the rest of it, it sounds good, except I've never heard of that company on the power supply, so i dunno, maybe be cheaply made, I'd go with someone name brand, but that's just me.

^^ someones been off the scene for a bit

hiper is the new antec :)
(ok maybe its not but theyre real nice and reivewed everywhere)

Well, for the dvd-drive, I don't need it. I already have a tv with a dvd player, and I never burn DVDs so it is useless to me.

Do I need the hiper 580w? It doesn't seem like my computer will be high end enough to need it.

I plan on overclocking, but only for education purposes I suppose. I just want to learn how to do it since I have never done it before. If I go with a different brand such as gskill, would I still be able to oc? Also, the mobo seems limited to what type of RAM I can use: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-965p-ds3.pdf. I am not sure whether this still applies, so let me know if I am not limited to just that.

The case doesn't have a window, but if I get more cash in the future, then I suppose I will buy a more fans.

I had a Creative Lab 7.1 sound card in there, which cost $70. I am on a $1,000 budget, so if I decide to put it on again, I will have to downgrade to a 7900GS Leadtek video card. So my choice is: 7900GS Leadtek + Sound card vs. 7900GTO eVGA + onboard motherboard sound card. Also, all I will do sound wise is play Guild Wars, maybe WoW, and listen to music on iTunes.

i would go with the antec truepower 550watt. its only like 80 bucks, and it will have enough power to handle almost anyhting you throw at it, the only problem is that its not a moduler

Hmm, I was reading some stuff about PSU's, and it recommends having PFC, but most of the PSU's I see are not. Is it worth paying extra for PFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom