Thermal Pad or Artic Silver 5? Did I mess Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC2k5 said:
I don't completely agree with this statement.

I've always used a pea sized drop of AS5, then used a credit card to "mason" a very thin layer across the top of the IHS. I spread it very thin so it's about the thickness of a piece of paper.

Then I carefully install the HS and do follow your rule of not breaking the seal.

Thermal Paste is not as technically as everyone makes it out to be.
It's simply used to fill "air gaps & surface inperfections" between the IHS and HS, to increase dissipation.

Of course too much is not good and not enough is not good. Put normally anywhere between and grain of cooked rice and a pea, is usually fine.

As long as the paste makes a tight thin seal, it's fine.

Yes you might do this, but spreading it out is not the recommended way for a reason. Putting a dab in the middle gives you the lowest temperatures and is why its recommended. It's been proven that spreading the paste does nothing because the actual cpu die is very small and in the middle of the plate that covers the cpu.

NeedAcpu said:
Yes you might do this, but spreading it out is not the recommended way for a reason. Putting a dab in the middle gives you the lowest temperatures and is why its recommended. It's been proven that spreading the paste does nothing because the actual cpu die is very small and in the middle of the plate that covers the cpu.

ok. so put a small dot, in the center of the IHS. Then fasten the heatsink down tightly.

DO YOU THINK THE FREAKIN' THERMAL PASTE IS STILL JUST IN THE CENTER OF THE IHS? NO IT'S NOT! IT'S SPREAD OUT FROM THE PRESSURE OF THE HEATSINK MOUNTED TO THE SOCKET. AND PROBABLY UNEVENLY.

You people still don't seem to understand. Look at the IHS and look at the HS. The two surfaces are nearly the same size. Those two surfaces are in constant contact to the human eye. But, at a microscopic level, they are not. The thernal paste is used to help increase the connected surfaces of both those dissipation materials.

Questions: Is it better to disspate heat over a larger area or smaller area? Which would be faster and slower? Why are they designing heat sinks to be larger and larger these days? exp. Zalman 9500.
Why is the bottom surface of the heat sink the same size as the IHS of a cpu? Why does a major heatsink manufacturer like Zalman have installation videos that show, "Spreading the thermal Paste evenly" out over the CPU."?

A LARGER SURFACE AREA HELPS MOVE MORE HEAT AWAY, FASTER.
THAT IS WHY YOU WANT THE WHOLE SURFACE OF THE IHS EVENLY and THINLY COVERED WITH THERMAL PASTE. A COMPLETE SURFACE BOND.

If you want the best cooling solution, remove the IHS completely and mount the heat sink directly to the "CPU DIE"

now...

give me some links of proof that your "dot" in the middle theory actually produces lower temps.

look guys... lets not overheat this simple statement

we have two different methods of putting thermal paste on the heatsink

The:
"Dot in the Middle"
and the:
Spread Manualy

BOTH! have been proven to be successfull and i have even tried both before..

now im not sure that the temperature benefits from either of these methods, but im sure its all in the technique...

Now what we know for sure is that you DO need to make sure to put enough and not to much

Benchmarking is unnessesary :D

the dab in the middle approach is easier when using a processor with an IHS and probably just as effective as spreading it as long as you don't use too much. on the other hand when using an open die processor (no IHS) the grease should be spread thinly with a razor. what everyone should keep in mind is that you should use the LEAST amount of thermal grease as possible. it's sole purpose is to eliminate air between the IHS (or die in some cases) and the heatsink. thermal grease is a relatively poor conductor of heat especially when compared to the metals in the HSF and IHS, but air is a worse conductor. therefore only use enough to make sure there is no air caught between the surfaces and nothing more.

nitestick said:
the dab in the midlle approach is easier when using a processor with an IHS and probably just as effective as spreading it as long as you don't use too much. on the other hand when using an open die processor (no IHS) the grease should be spread thinly with a razor. what everyone should keep in mind is that you should use the LEAST amount of thermal grease as possible. it's sole purpose is to eliminate air between the IHS (or die in some cases) and the heatsink. thermal grease is a relatively poor conductor of heat especially when compared to the metals in the HSF and IHS, but air is a worse conductor. therefore only use enough to make sure there is no air caught between the surfaces and nothing more.
Exactly.

yes, the CPU DIE/CORE are in the center of the IHS. So obviously that's were the majority of the heat will be transfered. BUT, heat does get dissipated out to the outer edges of the IHS. Which is still enough heat to burn your finger if touched in some cases. And since HS's are made to cover the whole IHS and heat is present in the whole IHS, it makes sense to ensure that the entire IHS & HS are coated with a thermal material as heat transfer will be through-out the entire surface of both the IHS & HS.

^^^ With the understanding that heat transfers better and faster over larger surfaces areas.

Wow I think I put on way too much, and unevenly. I think I'll take it off and try again.

Any tips on what works best for getting it all off the surfaces? Thanks.

Da11en47 said:
Wow I think I put on way too much, and unevenly. I think I'll take it off and try again.

Any tips on what works best for getting it all off the surfaces? Thanks.

rubbing alcohol and about 20 minutes.

or zalman makes a great product that takes about 2 minutes.

all valid points. in my humble opinion the best way to mount a HSF on a CPU with an IHS is to put a very small amount on the IHS and the HSF base then using a piece of plastic like a glove or bag spread the grease across the surfaces, just enough to make the surface appear dull. use the plastic to remove excess grease from the surface as the only grease should be filling gaps in the surface. then put the rice grain size dab in the centre and mount as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom