New Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundonfloor

Solid State Member
I have recently had to replace my old hard drive, and have correctly installed my new one.

I face two problems.

1) The Windows XP install disc that I have, and that came with the cpu is scratched to the point that it cannot be read by either of my drives anymore. And, I do not have the restore discs that originally came bundled with my HP

and

2) My current set-up was running a an ATI Radeon 256 meg graphics chip, that required seperate drivers to run. The system does however have a monitor output that relates to the onboard graphics card. Which would be best to use at this point?

I am basically stuck with a fully equipped computer and a completely blank hard drive. The system does have the Serial Number that was used for initial registration for my copy of XP.

Any and all insight would be greatfully appreciated.

I am in a bind.

Microsoft will not help me, as they merely direct me to HP, and HP has no answers for me.

Thanks in advance

If one of your drives is a CD-RW (which is pretty standard these days, IMO), you can slipstream a copy of XP.

Do you know how Linux CDs (and actually, Windows, and games i believe) work? They use what's called an ISO image file, and it's a virtual "picture" of files. When you pop in the disk, the computer automatically opens and reads the .iso and installs everything in it to your harddrive. Slipstreaming an XP disc (or Linux) is finding and burning the iso image file to a CD/DVD.

PS. May just be me, but i'm guessing uninformed. That's the most common one. :p

thanks. i thought about checking the torrent network for copies of XP, but was extremely worried about finding corrupt, or virus laden files.

i never heard the term "slip stream" but ill try to remembver that one

you got luckier than i did. I modded my cd-rw to destroy disks and accidently put my $200 xp disk in the drive and it was destroyed.

Microsoft said they'd replace it for $30-$40 but i forget which.

do you have a friend who you could use their copy of xp with your serial? Is your old hard drive working?

im going to try to track down a copy today. my old hard drive is completely useless.

when installing the OS to the new hard drive i would have to use the original on board monitor output right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom