Zone Alarm vs. Windows Firewall????

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
I felt windows firewall was fine when I used it but I recently reformatted to SP1 and installed zone alarm on it cuz you don't have a firewall in sp1.

Now that windows is up to date do you recommend I keep using zone alarm or is windows firewall fine?

Kerio personal firewall is better then both and free. But if you really want protection buy yourself a router.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm The advanced options expire (you don't need or want them anyway) but the firewall itself is free. As they say on the page we all miss sygate but.

A Great Replacement for Sygate.
If you're looking for the free Kerio Firewall or a replacement for the Sygate firewall, you have found the right page. Just like the original, the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall will keep working after the first 30 days, but in basic mode.

macdawg said:
I felt windows firewall was fine when I used it but I recently reformatted to SP1 and installed zone alarm on it cuz you don't have a firewall in sp1.

Now that windows is up to date do you recommend I keep using zone alarm or is windows firewall fine?

You can simply drop your Windows built-in firewall to the rubbish bin.
It can't do anything for XP users.

the thing I like about Windows firewall is that it doesn't take up any resources from what I can tell.

Zone Alarm takes up 20 mb on startup and can consume up to 50 mb while doing other things, only reason why I'm considering just sticking to Windows Firewall since I don't surf pron sites, am safe online, etc.

As far as a firewall, Zone Alarm is definetely better, but I'm not sure experienced users really need it....

Well, in my personal expirience (sp), Windows Firewall has done great, it blocks all bad incoming connections. All my friends know how to "hack" computers, and yet I give them my IP and have never been "hacked" by them. ZoneAlarm on the other hand, gave me problems, not with incoming connections though. The problems I had with ZoneAlarm were mainly with programs. It blocked the ones I didn't want blocked and it didn't block the ones I wanted blocked. Even though, I just went to the settings and changed all of them, it was still a big hassle. All in all, you can get ZoneAlarm, but if you don't need "added" security just stay with Windows Firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom