Thermal Pad or Artic Silver 5? Did I mess Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da11en47

In Runtime
I just watched this video "Thermal Pad or Paste?"

http://www.nforcershq.com/article92.html

It says that thermal pads are better for long term use, that thermal grease spreads out over time.

I just installed my Zalman 9500, and used Artic Silver 5. I put about a pea sized amount on and spread it around. Do you think I'll be fine?

Paste is better, and AS5 happens to be the best. However you should not have spread it around. You should not have even touched it.

The way you apply AS5 is you put a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the CPU and then put the HSF on top of it. Once you put the HSF on do not let it break the seal with the AS5 or you have to redo it.

Arctic silver is what most people use and get the best results with. So yes, youll be fine.

Using to much will raise your temperatures. You want to use as little as possible.

003 said:
Paste is better, and AS5 happens to be the best. However you should not have spread it around. You should not have even touched it.
The way you apply AS5 is you put a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the CPU and then put the HSF on top of it. Once you put the HSF on do not let it break the seal with the AS5 or you have to redo it.

I don't completely agree with this statement.

I've always used a pea sized drop of AS5, then used a credit card to "mason" a very thin layer across the top of the IHS. I spread it very thin so it's about the thickness of a piece of paper.

Then I carefully install the HS and do follow your rule of not breaking the seal.

Thermal Paste is not as technically as everyone makes it out to be.
It's simply used to fill "air gaps & surface inperfections" between the IHS and HS, to increase dissipation.

Of course too much is not good and not enough is not good. Put normally anywhere between and grain of cooked rice and a pea, is usually fine.

As long as the paste makes a tight thin seal, it's fine.

... yeah, either way spreading it or just letting it spread itself is fin

but when u spread it your self u are more prone to put to much or not spread it evenly, this is most people just put a little in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom