Boot Up Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogliki

Solid State Member
Ok, I have two PC's (let's name them 1 & 2). I received a new case and switched all the part's from Case 1 to Case 2. I put a new MOBO/Processor in Case 1 with parts from a Computer 3. Now both of them will turn on, but neither will act like it want's to boot up. The monitor shows no activity but the HD LED is on. The PSU's are compatible. Please help.

try to reseat everything, make sure vid card is secure. if that doesn't work, hook up ONLY the HDD, mem, processor and vid card. remove all else and see if it boots. if it does, then plug stuff in one at a time and see what happens starting with the cdrom. if you get the problem, then you know whats causing it and can go from there. if the problem doesn't come back then maybe it was just a conflict or improperly seated device.

I've tried and nothing responds differently. Any other suggestions please?

remove the MBD and check power connections. Make sure nothing in there is grounding to the case (IE connectors, screws, etc... ). When installing a MBD this is a possible cause, check and see. Also, try to reseat the mem and processor. Careful with ESD!!!!! If that doesn't work, then disconnect everything except the mem and processor and boot up. NO you wont get a screen, but maybe at least a beep code. Then hook everything up ONE by ONE! HDD first, then Vid card, then CD, then Floppy, etc.

OH, and also when you started piecing them together... Did you take the best parts of 2 computers and put them in one case??? So one nice system and one cheap-o? If so, then the power consumption maybe to much. What are the specs? This is for the good one, by the way... the other can be dealt with after this.

Ok...I tried checking for grounding and I put some foam washers around the screws. I disconnected everything and the mobo beeped when I added the video card and didn't beep once I connected the HD.

Computer 1-
AMD Duron 1Ghz
512 SDRAM
30 GB HD

Computer 2-
P4 2.8Ghz
768(?) DDR
80 GB
P4 Compatable 350 Watts PSU

Those are the major specs...if you need anymore just ask.

Hmmm.... sounds like either a bad controller or maybe ribbon cable. Sorry took so long to reply, but doing this at work... dont tell anyone ;) Anyhow, if the cdrom is on the 2nd IDE then try swapping out the cable. Also make sure the pin set on the HDD is on cable select. If not that, you could try putting it to master, but cable select should be the pin out of choice. Also, do you now get any video at all when you got the vid card beep?

Also, I'm not going to assume anything about your computer knowledge, so if any of this seems fundamental, then bare with me ;)

One thing you have to check is to make sure pin 1 on the IDE is facing correctly. To do this, look closely at the ribbon cable. You'll see a red stripe or broken stripe down one side of it. Many are now keyed at the device, but JUST in case make SURE that the red stripe is on the side of the IDE connector that is CLOSEST to the power. So, on the HDD the red stripe should be closest to where its power connector is on the HDD. While your at it expect the pins on the MBD and the HDD and see if any are broken. Look in the IDE cable, too.

Which pins do I put the jumper to switch it to cable select? I currently have both jumpers placed on the master setting. The IDE pins are alligned correctly.

also, any screen at all?? the black and white one even or just a dead monitor? is the monitor light green, orange, flashing, or what? if not green what kind of monitor.. actually give me all the details of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom