Need help with 5.25" floppy data

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstaten

Solid State Member
I need a way to transfer data from an old 5.25" floppy drive to a hard disk. I don't know if most computers are compatible with 5.25" floppies anymore, but there has to be some way to pull information of those disks, right?

I've got a ton of archaeological information that was stored in those floppies back in the 80's and 90's and we (my university) are concerned about losing the ability to read these disks in the not too distant future, so we want to transfer them to something more reliable.

Anyway, if you know of a product or method or get this information quickly and securely (****, if you know how to get it at all) please let me know. Thanks!

That's not quite what I had in mind.

I guess what I'm asking is this: will I be able to connect an old 5.25" floppy to a computer built within the last two years?

oh right, i thought you had disks and were looking for a drive,, what interface does the 5.25 floppy drive use

whatever the standard floppy connector is. IDE??

the really old ones had a different interface i believe. some newer ones have USB connectivity.

while the 5.25" drives do connect via the same port as 3.5" floppy drives they have a different cable connector. you may have a fair bit of trouble getting the cable, i have a ton but i live in Australia otherwise i would send you one. haven't seen one available for purchase in quite some time. many older floppy cables will have one connector for a 3.5" floppy and another for a 5.25" drive. it will work as long as you can get the drive and cable.

Hey There

I'm pretty sure I will able to get you a cable for a 5.25 floppy I have a garage full of old computers a bunch still have these drives in them. I know why would I have a garage full of old computers? Well I have a little problem with electronics. Cant throw them out. Let me know and i'll see what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom