Performance decrease-new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammyham

Baseband Member
Hi- I recently bought a new Intel 875p chipset motherboard

(Gigabyte ga-8Ik1100) and two 256 mb sticks of ddr333/ddr266 (they're ddr333 that are backwards compatible to ddr266). I

upgraded from an older motherboard with 768 mb of pc133

sdram.. I'm still running the same 1.5ghz /400 mhz FSB/ 256k

cache processor for now (waiting for 2.8) on the new

motherboard and ram, but I've

noticed a performance decrease. I have the DDR ram running at

dual channel too.

Could this performance decrease be just from my out dated processor? From the 256 mb less? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

i have a similar problem. i have just upgraded to this motherboard and have a P4 2.5 Ghz processor and only 256 mb ddr266 ram (two 512 ddr333 matched crucial sticks on the way) and i have noticed a massive decrease in performance.the motherboard is the only new item and i would say it is only running at about half what it was.Someone said it could be bios settings but i do not know enough to start playing with them.:confused:

cant find a multiplier or fsb setting . everything is set at stock or auto settings. if i set the bios to optomized defaults it doesnt get past the bios. it is really annoying me now:(

I've got my processor overclocked about 200 mhz. it's running at 1.7ghz now, at about 112 fsb. Memory running at about 300 mhz.. I used Perfect disk to defrag my system files, and I've noticed a small performance increase... Strange.

hammyham said:
Hi- I recently bought a new Intel 875p chipset motherboard

(Gigabyte ga-8Ik1100) and two 256 mb sticks of ddr333/ddr266 (they're ddr333 that are backwards compatible to ddr266). I

upgraded from an older motherboard with 768 mb of pc133

sdram.. I'm still running the same 1.5ghz /400 mhz FSB/ 256k

cache processor for now (waiting for 2.8) on the new

motherboard and ram, but I've

noticed a performance decrease. I have the DDR ram running at

dual channel too.

Could this performance decrease be just from my out dated processor? From the 256 mb less? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

The diffrent chipset may have something to do with it. What was the chipset on the older motherboard?

With the 875p chipset, a 400 fsb means it only supports ddr266, 533 fsb supports 333 and 266 etc..
My memory frequency in the bios does have a SPD option, i have that enabled.. So when I increase the fsb, the ram frequency increases too. Is that what you mean?

My older motherboard had an i845 chipset.. i think.

Could it be that my processor is so old.. it's a socket 478 willamette p4. ?? I'm going for the Northwood 2.8c soon..

i have tested my system with sisoftware sandra. This says my cpu fsb is 4x100mhz. the performance test says my memory bus speed is too high.
i have spd enabled my memory is set to 266mhz and my cpu host frequency is set to 100mhz cant quite work out what i am supposed to change

make sure you processor is compatible with that board and make sure it is running at the speed that is supposed to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom