New build booted few times, now won't even POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianf408

Beta member
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and unfortunately it's me seeking help with my computer problem.

I just built a new machine the other day, since my 4yo build just wasn't cutting it anymore. Spec:

AMD X2 3800+
Asus M2N4 SLI mobo
Sapphire ATI x1900xt 256mb
G.Skill 1gb DDR2-800 ram
Audigy 4
160gb SATA hddrive
Rosewill 450w psu

My problem:
Everything went together quite nicely, computer booted up to the BIOS on it's first boot, then I got it to boot from the WinXP cd to start installing. After Windows setup's first restart, the computer just lost display, wouldn't post, and gave the Asus sound error for not seeing a video adaptor (1 long beep, followed by 2 short). Every time I'd try to power on the computer I would have no display, and just get the beeping. All fans powered up, everything connected (Best Buy's GeekSquad even confirmed this).

After must frustration I've RMA'd the motherboard, video card, and ram to Newegg, and am currently awaiting replacements. I'm replacing the ram with a Corsair stick that is specifically recommended by Asus for my board. I just want to know what could have caused such a problem? I've seen problems like this before with parts that were defective out of the box, but for a problem like this to arise after the computer had run a bit just seems very strange to me. Mostly I want to make sure that it's not a PSU or processor issue so I don't mess up more new parts when they arrive in a couple weeks.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I used to know computer stuff pretty well but got out of the loop with new technology a couple years ago.

Thanks,
Brian

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error <awardB12-c.html>

did u ground urself when u put the computer together?

yes I grounded myself when working on it, I have a groundwire bracelet for working on cars.

I guess my biggest concern is if my processor is messed up, because I dont' want to get all the other new hardware and still have the same problem ya know?

try using the stock video that is built in the mobo , if u hav none then try borrowing one and see if the mobo works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom