AMD 3700+ = overclocking beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy8748

In Runtime
I purchased a AMD 3700+ a few months ago for my new build and I never thought about overclocking it. This past week I've been reading articles about overclocking the CPU. I have done enough reading and yesterday I decided to OC. This was my first OC so I was a bit hesitent, but once I got it from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz I couldn't stop, I got the "overclocking addiction." Today after school I decided to step it up a bit and I achieved 2.8GHz and I saw little difference in temps.

I overclocked it with stock cooling. The OC made my 3dmark05 score go from 7200 to 8400~.

Should I bring it up to 3.0GHz with stock cooling or should I just stop at 2.8?

tommy8748 said:
I purchased a AMD 3700+ a few months ago for my new build and I never thought about overclocking it. This past week I've been reading articles about overclocking the CPU. I have done enough reading and yesterday I decided to OC. This was my first OC so I was a bit hesitent, but once I got it from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz I couldn't stop, I got the "overclocking addiction." Today after school I decided to step it up a bit and I achieved 2.8GHz and I saw little difference in temps.

I overclocked it with stock cooling. The OC made my 3dmark05 score go from 7200 to 8400~.

Should I bring it up to 3.0GHz with stock cooling or should I just stop at 2.8?

If all you did was raise the FSB then your not really overclocking.

I doubt it's stable either.

whats the Vcore?

is it stable? did you run prime 95 or anything because i have not seen many 3700s hit 2.8 since they first came out after that the manufacturing proccess is refined and you will be very lucky to find a chip to clock that well.

If all you did was raise the FSB then your not really overclocking.
how is that not overclocking when he's raising the clock speed "over" that of the default speed?

He ran 3dmark05 so obviously it's stable to some degree, but no I wouldn't consider a single run of 3dmark05 the defining factor as to whether or not it's stable.

Nubius said:
how is that not overclocking when he's raising the clock speed "over" that of the default speed?

He ran 3dmark05 so obviously it's stable to some degree, but no I wouldn't consider a single run of 3dmark05 the defining factor as to whether or not it's stable.

Ok yeah your right but I dont want to sound like a techincal smart ***,but I ment overclocking as a whole like your ram, setting it on it's divider if needed, Messing with the ram timings, blah blah blah

Yeah your right, upping the fps and having the current speed above the normal is overclocking, I just ment more of the detail-ish stuff...

Tommy If I were you I'd try to find the max potential of your CPU and Max potential of your ram and then play with the settings till you find the sweet spot.

yea i got my 3700 to 2.8 also...but my memory is crappy and wont let me go any further unless i put a bigger divider on it....good times

tommy8748 said:
I'll run prime95 tommorrow for 8 hours to see if it is stable
Lol, wow on stock cooling. I really doubt it will be stable if all you did was up the FSB. You need better cooling.

yeah make sure you check it after about 30 min so that if it's not stable (it probably won't be) you can up the vcore and change the settings so that it'd be worth your time running prime95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom