Unlocking the bios to OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impguardman

Solid State Member
Howdy, I have a Compaq Presario. It came with:

AMD 64 3500+
1 gig ram
Radeon Xpress 200 (upgrading to a xfx geforce 7600gt)

The motherboard is the "Asus Amberine M"

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=1822601&cc=us&docname=c00496280

Anyways when I go into the Bios it is very limited and I can't change anything.

Now there is instructions to "Clearing the CMOS settings" on that hp website. I am wondering if that will unlock the Bios so I can OC the 3500+ to near 2.5 ghz. I am wondering if that is the way to unlock the Bios and if it is what would you guys recommend I set things to acheive a faster speed. I have stock cooling if that matters.

Also I hear that unlocking the bios does something to you version of windows. Is this true and what is the downside?

I have a Compaq motherboard like that too, but I've been told the Compaq versions of the motherboard are altered, and if you flashed the bios with a version that is meant for the non-Compaq version, it will not work.

most pc's like dell/hp do not have much of anything as for as options and ocing features in the bios, not sure if there is any other bioses you can use.

The BIOS software is motherboard specific. You cannot download a BIOS for another motherboard and have it work. It might work, but I certainly wouldn't want to take that risk. The motherboard companies made certain motherboards for pre-made machines, and only certain BIOS's, that are locked, were made for these motherboards.

However, that is just my understanding...I could be wrong.

CrazeD said:
The BIOS software is motherboard specific. You cannot download a BIOS for another motherboard and have it work. It might work, but I certainly wouldn't want to take that risk. The motherboard companies made certain motherboards for pre-made machines, and only certain BIOS's, that are locked, were made for these motherboards.

However, that is just my understanding...I could be wrong.

Exactly how I understand it to be... I doubt he's gonna have any luck.

clock locked it wont work i tried and tried with my presario sr1415nx it is not worth ur time new motherboard time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom