upgrading PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
i have a fortron 400w psu right now, and pretty much from the get-go it's been having problems with crashes and low voltage (11.58-11.64v on PSU tests). since I added an additional hard drive, the problem has just gotten worse. pretty much double the crashes.

anyways, how's this? http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128005

I have a 3700+ OC'ed to 2.55
1 gig of ram
1 40gig hdd
1 80gig hdd
6600gt (will upgrade to 7600gt sometime soon)

I have a personal bias for OCZ stuff and their power supplies are no exceptions

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002

A bit more pricey than other power supplies, but I've tested mine and the rails do absolutely not budge whatsoever. It's quiet and looks nice, and unlike most PSUs that are going with the multiple weak 12v rails, this one just has a single with much more amperage (I think it's 34a)

The best thing though is the warranty, 5 year which is amazing for a PSU plus OCZ support has always been much better than any other company

wow, yes that is pricey, but understandable considering the quality/warranty.

thats probably more than i want to spend. i'd like to keep it under $80. does OCZ or someone similar make something in that price range with 450+ watts?

yeah they had something in the 400 range but it looks like they've discontinued it or replaced it with these SLI versions as newegg doesn't seem to carry it anymore. You may also want to look into the modstreams, they are a bit watered down and come in 420 and 520 variants I believe but are also modular and much cheaper at that

they are all decent, but not if you want to upgrade again, i just bought the 580w hiper, it was either the 700w thermaltake quad rail, for $150 or the hiper for $99, they both have really good points

your looking for something cheaper, check the rosewill $80 range, and the zeroDBA areocool i think

i also checked the ocz modstearm and didnt really like it, for the price atleast

well its 89 bux kinda in your price range and also a good brand nam.

also remember theat you wont be using all 500 watts only what you need and the higher wattage rating you have and the less you use makes for better psu effecincy its good to always go a little over on your psu.now if you add another hd or something again you wont have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom