Keyboard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters69

Baseband Member
Hello Folks, I was working on my mom's PC over the weekend as her current PS2 keyboard had failed. I replaced the keyboard with the USB Keyboard below:

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...161&cat_id=557

I still get the keyboard error message on DOS type start-up screen. Also, since the PC does not recognize the Keyboard, I have to wait 30 for the system to auto-default to Windows XP home and the computer continues booting. Once in Windows the PC then recognized the Keyboard without any problems. The PC Is a Dell Desktop. The PC is fairly new. I would say 3 years or less.

My question is, should I go into the BIOS to configure the keyboard as USB so the system is not looking for a PS2 keyboard? Any general pointers are helpful. I am not at the PC right now and I just thought about the BIOS angle. I also understand the Windows recognizes devices a bit differently than the BIOS.

Last question on a different issue. I also bought an all-in-one HP Scanner, printer and copier unit. I bought a USB ver2 cable with the HP. My mum's PC must have a ver1 USB card installed. I tried installing the software that came with the HP and the software recognized that the USB card I have in the PC Is ver1 and told me that the HP would work but at slower speed. Is that correct?

Thanks, Bill

Often times, at least in the Phoenix CMOS setup, there is an option to enable USB keyboard. If you are comfortable, explore in there.
I think if Dell had a PS/2 keyboard with the computer then they had no reason to set USB.
Give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom