Suggestions on RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLewiss

Solid State Member
Well here is the PC I am building, the important items are linked to themselves on NewEgg:

2xeVGA Geforce 7600GT PCI Express
AMD 64 X2 4600+
Abit KN8 SLI Mobo
2x250GB 7200 RPM WD HDD
Sound Blaser Audigy 2 ZS Plantinum
Antec Truepower 2.0 550W SLI Ready PSU

Now the RAM is what I can't decide on. I have never really OCed anything and from what I here, when you get performence RAM, you have to set the timings yourself, so that kinda scares me. I mean I am spending a lot of money and I don't want to screw myself over. This is by far the first PC I have built but I would not say I am an expert at all. Also, do you have to have a special type of ram to SLI? I don't think so but I can't understand why some images of RAM have the SLI ready icon on them, so I want to know before I screw myself on that too lol. Here is a list of rams that I was looking at: NewEgg Compare

If you have any suggestions on any of the parts I would be glad to hear them, but mostly I just need to know about what RAM I should get, and if I do have to set the Timings or something myself, if that is hard or easy and would it be dangerous?

I think you should just get a 7950GT instead of SLI-ing two 7600GTs. And you can also go for the X2 4400+ and OC to save you some money. On RAM....OCZ and G.Skill are one of the top overclocking rams.

I dont want to OC though... to dangerous for a newbie like me. But here is a question. What would preform better overall. A 7950 or two 7600s? I mean overall, not just threading 1 app. If i had to do two graphic intensive programs at once.

So, if a 7950GT will outpreform 2x7600GTs, then what is the point of even having SLI on lower model cards? I honestly would have thought that two 7600s in SLI would outpreform 1 7950. Espicially when doing something like running 2xWoWs or 2xUT2004s

Well I think you guys are right, 2x7600s get about the same marks as 1 7950, but the difference is, SLI, lots of games don't support it. So all in all the 7950 would be fine. Its about the same price either way though. I am also trying to consider that D10 comes out soon right? But on the other hand, even when it does come out, it will take awhile for new cards and even then those will be 2x as expensive as the 7950 is right now...

Bump. Need answer on RAM, and now need to know if a 550W PSU is enough for the 7950GT instead of the 7600GT SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom