Upgrading now or changing later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvez

Baseband Member
My configuration is the one in the signature. In the last two years I've got a really hard time playing videogames, even if I changed the video card one year ago.
Currently, I'm short of cash, so I can't change my PC, but if I start saving now, for jan/feb probably I'll have the money to buy a new PC.
But since I'm an impatient person, I'm considering upgrading as an alternative to replacing. I'll like to know your opinion about this:

Will replacing my Celeron with a P4 3/3.2GHz HT and putting two DDR 400MHz modules (in dual channel configuration) allow me to play decently for the next couple of years? How much memory do you think I'll need?
(I plan to buy used stuff in case of an upgrade)

I'm not interested in playing at the maximum detail level, I simply want a stable frame rate.
Looking forward to your opinions, thx! ;)

It will make a huge difference. Just make sure you get the right socket for your CPU.

While a new system would be the best choice, upgrading might be all you can afford. Just don't spend too much for the bandage when the patient will be dead soon anyway.

Yes i recommend getting a better Cpu... Celeron's are a budget model and its 1.7 Ghz... Omg no wonder why you cant play games very good... And get more ram...256 Mb doesnt cut it anymore... Get a 1Gb to have 1.256 Gb of ram

Thanks for your advice.
I've decided to not upgrade, I will see in the next months what will be my computing needs, and see if I really need a new PC/laptop, as I'm not playing videogames much at the monent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom