HDD Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmasterB

Beta member
Hi there,

I have recently kind of recovered from a windows repair as I got the windows\system32\config\system error.

I have a notebook and it runs two partitions. I took out my notebook HDD to backup the things on it on C: and conected it to my other PC using a HDD enclosure.

It seems now that I my have lost the partition on d: by connecting it to my other PC with the hdd enclosure. It wil not let me access d: and says that the hdd needs to be formatted.

I have some vital files on this HDD that I need. Is there anything that I can do or any program I can use to restore it?

Thanks in advance.

put it back in the original PC, and see if you still get the same error
if you do, that means the partition is still there

if that's the case, put in your XP CD, boot up with it, and go to the recovery console
once at the command line, after you type the admin password (blank by default), type the folowing two lines:

del C:\windows\system32\config\system \q
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

then exit (by typing "exit") and restart without the CD. it should boot afterwards.

Hi apokalipse,

Thanks for your reply.

However my problem is with my 2nd parition, I already overcome the error you had mentioned.

My d: (2nd partition) is showing in windows but I cant access it and says it needs to be formatted. Is this a partition problem?

If so or if it is sometrhing else, what do I do to access my 2nd partition?

Thanks.

Thanks for that, but which one do I use?

I can browse my D:\ in dos but in windows it wont let me access it. All the files are there in dos.

Please help anyone? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom