[Unsolved] Car Subwoofer For Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTheAve

Solid State Member
Viewers
Thank you for at-least attempting to read and help me in this matter. I am attempting to hook-up a car subwoofer to my computer. Problem is I have no clue how to wire the subwoofer (Never even seen the wiring of one) and I have no clue as how to power it. Luckly, I yet to even buy the subwoofer but I really want to use it.

Can someone please help me out?

You would have to make a headphone type plug, to plug into your computer.

Then you'd have to find a 110/120v - 12v adaptor, with a sh*tload of amps. (I think anyway, don't those subs run off the 12v car battery?)

It probally won't even sound that good.

Well, the headphone plug I have covered, that can be done with a simple trip to my local radioshack. (30min away)

Powering is were i'm concerned; is there somekind of converter I can plug into the wall and use?

You need a 120v -> 12v converter that can put out AT LEAST 20 amps. An easy way to tell how many amps you want is this:
Take the RMS wattage of the amp youre using, and divide by ten. If its a 200 watt amp, you need 20 amps, if its a 400w amp, you need 40 amps. Its not exact, but its close, and we've used it for years in car audio.

Well he did offer me a 1200watt amp... So that means I need a 120v->12v that will output a mininum of 120amps? Then plug the amp into that and the subs into the amp right? Do they even make the converter that high?

not really u would either need a car amp or a stereo receiver. computer push zero amps so u wouldnt even produce a sound .ur best bet would be to use a car amplifier for the sub cuz they are both set to run at 4ohms while home stereo is 8 ohms so ur sub would distort. if u really want that bass buy a powered home stereo amplifier u can those in 12inch and already have a power source that u could just plug into the wall without having to make an adapter as for the car amplifier a home stereo sub u can buy a simple adapter.but in perspective it is not a good idea for either just buy a nice set of comp speakers

So I just looked at Radioshack.com for AC-DC converters... i'm completly lost. Any help please?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103961&cp=2032056.2032145&parentPage=family is about the biggest I can find. Can you get me a link to the amp you want to use? I know its going to be more than 25 amps but I dont think it will be as high as 120amps. Never know though, some amps will draw that much power. You dont need a 1200w sub anyways. Ive got an Infinity 1042w in my tractor. Its only a 10" 250rms 1000max sub, but she hits hard, and an amp to drive it would run off the converter in the link.

SpikedCola said:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103961&cp=2032056.2032145&parentPage=family is about the biggest I can find. Can you get me a link to the amp you want to use? I know its going to be more than 25 amps but I dont think it will be as high as 120amps. Never know though, some amps will draw that much power. You dont need a 1200w sub anyways. Ive got an Infinity 1042w in my tractor. Its only a 10" 250rms 1000max sub, but she hits hard, and an amp to drive it would run off the converter in the link.

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!

You have a AMP in your tractor?:D

Lord AnthraX said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!

You have a AMP in your tractor?:D

Hahaha, that's what I was thinking... :amazed: :p

If you decide to do this, make sure the speaker is like 4 feet away from your computer, so you don't have any magnetic interferance, which can cause data corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom