Start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

charms123

Beta member
Hey I have an emachines computer, only a couple years old. Recently it has been shutting down by itself randomly and now I can't even get it to boot up. The computer turns on so there's definetly power but it doesn't load Windows or anything. I was wondering if this is a hardware related problem, and can it be fixed or maybe is this due to some virus or something? We have a firewall and everything so i don't think it is that. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

This could be a problem due to many reasons:

1. You are running low on memory. Close down unnecessary applications by going into Start -> Run -> type "msconfig". Remove any unnecessary applications except for your antivirus. Restart.

2. You have a virus or malware or spyware in your computer. Scan for threats.

3. A firewall only blocks people from hacking into your computer, your computer can still get infected.

When you say it doesn't boot, do you mean you don't get anything up on your screen?

If so:
try resetting the CMOS by either moving the jumper from pins 2/3 to pins 1/2 or by removing the battery for about 30 mins. Then try to boot up.

If you're getting the initially words and stuff on your screen, but it's just Windows that isn't booting, then:
a) if you have to backup files, put your drive in another computer and copy your files
b) reformat your computer (do a fresh install of windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom