SuperPI times are better in Ubuntu than in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
Yep, on my little Dell 9300 laptop (1.73 GHz) Pentium M Dothan.

Windows XP = 42 seconds.
Ubuntu 6.06 = 35 seconds.

:confused:

Is this because Ubuntu only uses about 150 MB (out of 1024) of RAM where as Windows uses 500+ MB?

OpticalIllusion said:
Is this because Ubuntu only uses about 150 MB (out of 1024) of RAM where as Windows uses 500+ MB?

Nope, RAM shouldn't matter, it's mostly processor-dependent. I guess Ubuntu has a better management of system resources, that's all.

Yeah, SuperPI 1M is a really unreliable benchmark, but since so many people do it, I guess theres no harm in it.

I mean just closing some programs gave me a 40% better time? It can't be reliable ... lol

yup i do close everything, even engage internet lock in zonealarm, everything in my pc is dead still, and i get 44.172, o well just means overclock more...

This is a big reason why so many people have beef with windows, they don't know how to administer it properly. I just shut off my browser and media player and page file use dropped to 85MB

I mean just closing some programs gave me a 40% better time? It can't be reliable ...
Assume you're joking or exagurating as that is just ridiculous. Closing down programs will naturally help though since the CPU is sorting through less threads to execute and schedule to execute, and especially in your case closing programs clears ondie cache which superPI likes to use and Intel likes to rely on

everything in my pc is dead still, and i get 44.172
Doesn't seem likely that you'd get the exact same time to three decimal places especially after freeing up some system resources...

gaara said:
Assume you're joking or exagurating as that is just ridiculous. Closing down programs will naturally help though since the CPU is sorting through less threads to execute and schedule to execute, and especially in your case closing programs clears ondie cache which superPI likes to use and Intel likes to rely on

Okay, more like 30%

Actually this was on my X2 3800+, I had Firefox and Gaim open and I got 50 seconds, then I closed Firefox and Gaim, as well as killing some services like vino, etc, and I got 35 seconds. This was at 2.6Ghz.

Perhaps it's something weird with Wine, but yeah, it happened. I haven't even testing SuperPI in Wine on my newer computer yet. Guess I'll do that this weekend.

weird, 50 seconds seems way too long and even 35 seconds seems a bit slow. Closing basic programs like messengers and browsers would only shave off at most maybe a second on AMD64s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom