Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my best guess is cuz it's DDR2-667. can you give a link or something. Also some C2D boards don't work that well with OCZ ram.

it's kinda too late but i woulda went 2x250Gb RAID and 2x1 DDR2-800 ram.

send me a link and i'll be able to tell you more

jordo_99 said:
Model: E6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte DS3
Vcore: 1.35
Cooling: Air---stock HSF and thermal pad---2x120mm 1x250mm case fans
Stability: Superpi and 5 hours on "Stress Prime 2004 Orthos"

getting a new HSF and AS5 and fan/temp monitor so my fans will actually start moving as fast as they should. Will post OC w/ new parts.

UPDATE: i've had my new HSF (Artic Cooler Freezer Pro 7) and some AS5 in for about a week. Here's my new results.

Now my Vcore is 1.4 with my ram dropped down to 4-4-4-12 timings and my temps are 33/38 (system idle/load) and 33/43 (cpu idle load)

i actually got up to 3.6Ghz with a vcore of 1.45 but i don't wanna push stuff too much yet. I wouldn't be gaining anything from doing that with how i use my computer so i'm staying at 3.2Ghz

SpikedCola said:

well they don't seem too bad. if you haven't yet make sure that your running a 1:1 mem divider with the FSB. also try loosening timings to 5-5-5-15 or 4-5-4-15.

you could try going moving up voltage on the ram to 2.0 and then 2.1 but i'd only do this if everything thing else fails to work.

i really don't know why you wouldn't be able to push it more...techniqually you're not even running the ram at stock yet. I'd expect you to be able to get at least up to 350mhz (DDR2-700) without upping the voltage.

if you can't get up that high i don't know what to tell you. maybe try memtest cuz you might have some defective ram or something.

Timings are 5-5-5-15 already, and Ive tried upping the voltage to 2.1 (says on OCZ site that 2.2 wont void warrenty, anything upwards will) but It wouldnt post. Tried dropping the memory speed to like 500mhz and it still wouldnt post. Ill have to run memtest in the morning.

SpikedCola said:
Timings are 5-5-5-15 already, and Ive tried upping the voltage to 2.1 (says on OCZ site that 2.2 wont void warrenty, anything upwards will) but It wouldnt post. Tried dropping the memory speed to like 500mhz and it still wouldnt post. Ill have to run memtest in the morning.

ok i know what your problem is.

DDR2-*** is actually ***/2mhz

for example:

DDR2-533 is actually 266mhz
DDR2-666 is actually 333mhz
DDR2-800 is actually 400mhz
DDR2-1066 is actually 533mhz

i really don't know why they set up the numbers like that but yeah...the number after DDR2- is actually double what the speed in mhz is. so no matter what if you're trying to do it at 500mhz or DDR-500 it will never work regardless because no mobos will support less than DDR2-533 and your ram will never be able to go anywhere near that high.

i'm almost positive that's the problem. hope that helps.

SpikedCola said:
So Id need 800 to push it any farther? Eff. Thanks for your help though!

no, since you're trying to do it at 500mhz your problem is either:

1.) that's actually DDR2-1000 so that's too high for your ram to run (mine was $130 for 1GB and pretty **** nice and i can't get them up to that and keep stability)

or 2.) actually running your ram at 250mhz, which would be DDR2-500. No DDR2-*** mobo will do this to my knowledge because the lowest DDR2 ram is DDR2-533.

so what i'm saying is to set your ram mhz at half of what you want the DDR2-number to say.

if you want DDR2-800 speeds then set the ram to 400mhz. (look back at above post and you'll see other figures.)

i hope that helps out man.

Well, I just overclocked my memory some more and Im running at:
385.0MHz and 4-4-4-14 timings @ 2.0v. Is that good for DDR2-667 RAM, or can I push it farther?

Answered my own question. Had to drop it to 380MHz; anything higher was unstable - it gave me nv4_disp bluescreens after a few minutes.

e6700

Got my system running and just used the O/C 20% option off the bat to break it in and check the temps. Temps are good seems to stay at 32C and 45C loaded up. You can see what I have from my sig so what is the max or optimum settings I should strive for? I had the cooler already and I guess I need to get a better one because this one probably does not do much better than stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom